mounts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mtnmax

mtnmax

Lift Off

• Loc: Vernon BC Canada

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:40 PM

I bought a new celestron 8"advanced just last year and have since moved up to the 11" carbon fibre tube bought here. I find the viewing wobbly :jump: very hard to get a clean look. Do I need to go up in size??Is there anything I can do to this mount to work???Thanks Terry

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

I bought a new celestron 8"advanced just last year and have since moved up to the 11" carbon fibre tube bought here. I find the viewing wobbly :jump: very hard to get a clean look. Do I need to go up in size??Is there anything I can do to this mount to work???Thanks Terry

Do you have a set of Celestron's vibration suppression pads under the legs? That will help a lot. So will a motofocus. I'd try these (cheaper) solutions first. I find the CG5 does a pretty good job (visually) with the 11.

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:10 PM

I agree that the C11 should be OK for visual on a CG5. There can be a fair amount of flex in long Vixen style dovetails. It's been a while since I looked at C11SGT so don't no if it has a problem with that. There are stiffer solid dovetails available than might help stiffen things up. An adjustable height observing chair can help by allowing you to keep the tripod less than fully extended.

#4 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

I have used my CG5 with my C11 and it is quite passable for visual with the legs fully extended after installing the feathertouch 2 speed microfocus but considerably better if I dont extend but rather use my chair.....

#5 mtnmax

mtnmax

Lift Off

• Loc: Vernon BC Canada

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

Thanks I will try those first/.....Terry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics