• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JR#8

JR#8

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hey all as most of you know I'm starting to try to use a guide scope. While I have a LX200 w/SMT running in the Alt/Az mode. If I'm running PHP Guider to guide my LX mount thru the ED80. Heres my question. Does the PHP override the Meade's SMT. Or does it work inconjuction with. Do I have to turn it off(Meade's). Do I 2 star align or just polar. Or is this a try to figure it out on my own.
Thankx
Bruce

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

Does the PHP override the Meade's SMT. Or does it work inconjuction with.

They work well together. You'll want to polar align (which means you'll want it to be on a wedge).

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:11 AM

Hey all as most of you know I'm starting to try to use a guide scope. While I have a LX200 w/SMT running in the Alt/Az mode. If I'm running PHP Guider to guide my LX mount thru the ED80. Heres my question. Does the PHP override the Meade's SMT. Or does it work inconjuction with. Do I have to turn it off (Meade's). Do I 2 star align or just polar. Or is this a try to figure it out on my own.
Thankx
Bruce

No idea what "PHP guider" is, but even if you are able to guide in alt-az (most guide programs, like what many of us are using, PHD Guiding, will not allow that, nor will most mount software), it's not much worth it, as field rotation will get you anyway. What the guide program does is issue small "move" commands to the mount, that have nothing to do with its "Smart Mount" features. You need to get a wedge and setup in EQ mode if you want to guide.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics