Photo

Vixen mounts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 oxygen

oxygen

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

Have posted this on another forum and just looking for more help.

Currently looking for a GEM for mostly visual use and start doing some AP. Looking at the Vixens as i've had experience with an EQ6pro/Atlas and I don't really consider it to be portable. Then the Heq5/Sirius is still quite heavy and for around a AUS$1000 more i could have a Sphinx SXW or GPD2 which by all reports are much better mounts and still very portable. Will probably be looking at it to hold a VMC200l with 6.3 focal reducer and an ED80. Using a DSLR for photos.

Would either the VMC200 or ED80 with a guidescope piggybacked be too much weight?

Could anyone with experience give an estimate on how long the subs could be taken on the Vixen mounts without quiding? Length of subs on HEQ5/Sirius without being guided?

How user friendly is the Starbook hand controller?

#2 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

Would either the VMC200 or ED80 with a guidescope piggybacked be too much weight? ...Could anyone with experience give an estimate on how long the subs could be taken on the Vixen mounts without quiding?

Which guidescope are you using and how much does it weigh? The SXW can carry a 22 lb load according to their specs, so as a starting point you might want to weigh your gear, including the mounting brackets, camera, etc. I use a C6 SCT and an AT66ED refractor on my setup and with all the extra stuff it adds up to about 24 lbs.

Regarding the unguided exposure length question, your VMC200 with it's very long focal length will severely limit unguided exposures with any mount. With the ED80, you should be able to get 2 to 3 minute exposures before you start throwing away subs.

Patrick

#3 oxygen

oxygen

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

Haven't got a guide scope yet but will probably be an ST80, or maybe a William Optics Zenithstar 66. Hoping one of those piggybacked to an ED80 will be under the 22lb.

VMC seems like to much for mount with a scope piggybacked. Had this opinion in other forum as well. Will probably just use it for observing and keep ED for imaging.

#4 Tim

Tim

Messenger

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

I found the starbook controller very easy to use. Its sort of like using a laptop. click or point and goto. The screen is a little bright but can be filtered. When I image I dont concern myself with dark eye adaptation. If you are not guiding now, like most you probably will be if the imaging bug takes over. I dont know how much more the sxd version of the mount is but that may be worth considering. You cant park the scope and come back and resume using it. that being said if you havent moved it then it doesnt take long to go through the routine and set it up again.

The sphinx is very portable mount much more so than the cheaper mounts in my opinion because of the tripod. I have found the tripod to be good, its not in the same league as the chinese ones.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics