CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

don't laugh at my me... (tripods)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 buddhafrog

buddhafrog

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

Yes, I'm a beginner, but I feel like the following problem is one I should be able to figure out.... alas, I can not.

I will be buying an Oberwerk 20x80 and an Oberwerk 8x42. Of course, I need to get a tripod for the biggie.

I'm 6'2", and most tripods are around 5". Will I have to bend over significantly to view from the tripod? If so, I don't think I can handle that. I've seen some tripods around 67", but still, that's shorter than I am, and with angle of the binos, it'll be a problem.

Do tall folks always use chairs with tripods? :question:

Is the tripod adaptor so large that it actually provides the needed height? :question:

Is it effective to get a tripod that can go very low, and use it while laying on the ground? :question:

What am I missing here?

I'm hoping to get one for less than $100.

#2 dpwoos

dpwoos

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:56 PM

A tall guy in our club who does a lot of bino observing uses tripods, and he gets underneath the binos by cranking up the center stalk. My sons and I, on the other hand, use a homemade tripod made out of 3 crutches (very sturdy/stable) and a Universal Astronomics parallelogram mount that positions the binos as high as anyone needs, and is a very comfortable way to observe. I don't know what you can get for $100 - maybe persue the used market.

#3 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

I was going to suggest the Manfrotto 028,alas it's sure beyond your budget at the moment. I would save a little,you won't need to buy another tripod if you go for the 028.

Good luck in the search.

#4 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

I have used several tripod mounted binos and have yet to find one that didn't kill my neck. I think about the only way to do it would be with a right angle diagonal or 45 degree diagonal so that you look down instead of up.

These days I prefer to lie down to use binos.

good luck
Greg N

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics