• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buddhafrog

buddhafrog

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ulsan, South Korea

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

Yes, I'm a beginner, but I feel like the following problem is one I should be able to figure out.... alas, I can not.

I will be buying an Oberwerk 20x80 and an Oberwerk 8x42. Of course, I need to get a tripod for the biggie.

I'm 6'2", and most tripods are around 5". Will I have to bend over significantly to view from the tripod? If so, I don't think I can handle that. I've seen some tripods around 67", but still, that's shorter than I am, and with angle of the binos, it'll be a problem.

Do tall folks always use chairs with tripods? :question:

Is the tripod adaptor so large that it actually provides the needed height? :question:

Is it effective to get a tripod that can go very low, and use it while laying on the ground? :question:

What am I missing here?

I'm hoping to get one for less than $100.

#2 dpwoos

dpwoos

Apollo

• Loc: United States

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:56 PM

A tall guy in our club who does a lot of bino observing uses tripods, and he gets underneath the binos by cranking up the center stalk. My sons and I, on the other hand, use a homemade tripod made out of 3 crutches (very sturdy/stable) and a Universal Astronomics parallelogram mount that positions the binos as high as anyone needs, and is a very comfortable way to observe. I don't know what you can get for $100 - maybe persue the used market.

#3 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

I was going to suggest the Manfrotto 028,alas it's sure beyond your budget at the moment. I would save a little,you won't need to buy another tripod if you go for the 028.

Good luck in the search.

#4 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

I have used several tripod mounted binos and have yet to find one that didn't kill my neck. I think about the only way to do it would be with a right angle diagonal or 45 degree diagonal so that you look down instead of up.

These days I prefer to lie down to use binos.

good luck
Greg N

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics