CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Extension for EZ Touch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Newfie Ninja

Newfie Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:46 PM

I am pretty sure that I have seen this posted before but have not been able to find the post using search. I am looking for an extension that I can just bolt to my EZ Touch without having to modify anything that will raise the mount head for more comfortable viewing. I am fairly tall and have to bend alot when using my refractor.

Cheers

#2 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Aurora

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:55 PM

If you are using a CG5 type tripod with the EZTouch, Orion sells this extension that works very well.

Here is a photo of the one I used to have. Should never have sold it...

Attached Files

#3 Newfie Ninja

Newfie Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Doug,

I am using the wooden surveyor's tripod sold with the EZ Touch.

Cheers

#4 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Aurora

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

I thought that was probably the case, but decided to toss the Orion one out there anyway. I have no idea if there's such an extension for the original wood tripod. I am sure that there would be a market for one, especially for those of us with fairly long OTAs.

#5 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

...Should never have sold it...

And I thank you for it Doug. Still using it.

#6 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Aurora

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Glad to hear it, Dennis! Let me know if you ever want to sell it. :cool:

#7 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Glad to hear it, Dennis! Let me know if you ever want to sell it. :cool:

Unlikely at this point Doug. I'm in the process of having an adapter made so I can mount it on a used Hercules tripod I bought. This one has the central shaft extension that would eliminate the problem that the OP has. Cost @ $300-$200 for the tripod, $100 for the two adapters.Hope to get it back next week.

#8 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Aurora

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Sounds great Dennis! I always liked the looks of the Hercules tripod, and they hit Astromart every once in awhile at decent prices. Since I couldn't find an original AYO EZTouch, I found the next best thing; a used Giro II which I will use on an Antares 48" portable pier.

To the OP; you may wish to look at different tripod options as far as being able to use an extension is concerned. ScopeStuff sells the Antares Telescope Pedestals in various heights. I used to use one for a ASGT mount, and they work well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics