Photo

mystery mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

i went to a star party the other day and one of the members of our club had a pier mount for his 8" celestron sct. he purchased it at a sale that a deceased members wife had been selling off his astro equipment. ive never seen one like it. it had 4 feet at the bottom and a pier shaft about 4 or 5" diamiter. inside the shaft was a 2nd shaft that would elevate up to about 8' with hand crank on the side of the pier. not sure what kind of metal it was made of but heavy duty it was. it had K and a small symbol then E on a metal square tag at the bottom on the pier with a #502125. does anyone have any knowledge of this mount. thanks, don

#2 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

A picture sure would help!

Steve

#3 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:54 PM

steve, i wish i would have taken my camera to the gethering, but i had no idea the member bought it. the next time we have a meeting, i will ask this member if he would take a picture of the mount for me. don

#4 nykaver

nykaver

Explorer 1

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like an elevating column by Keuffel and Esser. In addition to slide rules and drafting and surveying equipment, they made optical collimating devices, some of which were probably mounted on columns.

#5 vinnie

vinnie

Minister of Misinformation . . . Oh Yes

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

Sounds like an elevating column by Keuffel and Esser. In addition to slide rules and drafting and surveying equipment, they made optical collimating devices, some of which were probably mounted on columns.

Yep, the KE for Keuffel and Esser makes sense.

I'm more inclined to think its an adjustable pedestal for a drafting table, modified to accept the telescope mount head

(Although the 8' seems out of place)

#6 vinnie

vinnie

Minister of Misinformation . . . Oh Yes

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

Here is an example, although this one is hydraulic (like a Barber's chair) and has a round base. Some older versions had three or four cast iron legs, and adjusted up and down with a rack and pinion crank, like that on a pedestal drill, except internally fitted

Pedestal Drafting Table

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics