Solar Observation (August 22, 2009)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

I was visiting a friend who owned a Coronado PST solar telescope (1.6" F/10 refractor coupled with a hydrogen-alpha filter). The daytime sky (August 22, 2009 at 17:30 U.T.) had some intermittent cumulus clouds but we decided to take a look at the Sun. My friend had told me that the Sun has not been exhibiting any type of activity over it's surface (including prominences). We turned the PST towards the Sun and were greeted by no less than five prominences over the solar limb! It was exciting to watch these prominences at different magnifications (33-52x). I noted loop, Y-shaped, filament, and bridging prominences. It was fun watching our nearest star.

A digital image produced in Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

Below are detailed sectional sketches of the prominences I noted over the Sun as described above. They were all very interesting to study.

Digital images produced in Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:42 PM

Very cool digital sketches i bought a solar filter my C6R but with few if any sunspots it isn't very interesting thanks for posting.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

Carlos,

You have been very busy as of late. This is a tremendous whole sun sketch and group of close ups. Your sketch work is outstanding. :bow: :rainbow: :cool: :bow:

Frank :)

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:07 AM

Frank and Tommy,

Thank you for your compliments on my H-alpha solar observation. It was fun obseerving the Sun once again. I was fun to be able to see the prominences over the solar limb. Hopefully the Sun will exhibit more activity in the future. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics