Atlas HC Cable Modification....DB9 to CAT5

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:10 AM

This is the second time now that the DB9 wiring has gone haywire. To much movement over the years breaks up those tiny little wires inside.

Attached Files

#2 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

Looking for a new end at the local electronics supply house, I came across a DB9 to CAT5 connector. The nice thing about this connector is that YOU wire the pins for your configuration. The CAT5 end is done but the DB9 has the pins already soldered and you just insert them into the right wiring configuration for your application.

After about a half hour tracing the original wire colors to the pin configuration based on the new cable I wanted to use, (the newer cables use different colors than the hand controller, and are in different locations) I put it together and tested it. Works great!

Now I can use any length of round, flat, or coiled CAT5 cable from the mount to the hand controller. The one I'm using now is a flat 25 ft. 8 conductor CAT5 cable, but might make a 35 ft. black round one this week.
I certainly won't have the loose/broken wire problem again!

Attached Files

#3 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:33 AM

The other solution I have been looking at for several years, has been to get rid of the DB9 connector and replace it with a CAT5 connector on the mounts control board face panel. I picked up this CAT5 "push-in-to-connect" connector, but found that it is just a little to wide to fit.

I'll keep looking... :grin:

Attached Files

#4 joejoe

joejoe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:24 AM

The other solution I have been looking at for several years, has been to get rid of the DB9 connector and replace it with a CAT5 connector on the mounts control board face panel. I picked up this CAT5 "push-in-to-connect" connector, but found that it is just a little to wide to fit.

I'll keep looking...

This is a great idea. I might start looking too.

#5 Will

Will

Messenger

• Loc: O'Fallon MO

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

This looks great but I'm also interested in what looks like a right angle db9 adapter in the picture. I use an EQDIR module and prefer to have it up at the mount but it sticks out. Would love to have it lay flat.

#6 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

This looks great but I'm also interested in what looks like a right angle db9 adapter in the picture. I use an EQDIR module and prefer to have it up at the mount but it sticks out. Would love to have it lay flat.

Hi Will, I had a post several years back on the 90 degree DB-9 connector but couldn't find it. Here is the link to the company that sells them L-com. . There may be other companys that sell them, but this is the one I settled on and the service was very good.

The connector is only $7.00 and it really helps to get the cable "out of the way".

#7 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

I ended up making the new cable the other day. I found some conn. tang protectors, they just slip on the cable before you crimp on the CAT-5 conn. The new cable is 30 ft. long and will get me inside the house if needed.

Attached Files

#8 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

That black plastic protector will keep the cable from "accidently" becoming un-plugged if bumped or touched during viewing.

Attached Files

#9 Will

Will

Messenger

• Loc: O'Fallon MO

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

Thanks, they're on the way ! I got one for me and one for a friend.

#10 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

Thanks, they're on the way ! I got one for me and one for a friend.

That's great Will, you will really like it!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics