CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Appreciation Of Sketches

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 asteroid7

asteroid7

Skylab

• -----

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

Just a note to say that I appreciate all the fine sketches on this forum. Thanks for sharing the observations.
They make my day a little brighter.

Rich

#2 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

I probably speak for most....we enjoy doing it and our observing gets better as we do it. Join us!!

#3 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

I find now that I have begun sketching that I am actually observing more. The object that is being sketched is studied intently for detail and this was something that I wasn't doing when I was just visually observing.

Roland is right Rich, join in the fun.

#4 starquake

starquake

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:53 AM

I find now that I have begun sketching that I am actually observing more. The object that is being sketched is studied intently for detail and this was something that I wasn't doing when I was just visually observing.

I feel just the same. Last week I was in an astro party. One night while I was sketching, I was listening to others yelling all the time what they view: "NGC 32432 WOW, M 121 WHOAA, NGC 89948 OH WOW, NGC 43243.... etc". This went on the whole night. I only observed 4 objects (actually some more, because some of them were a group of galaxies) the whole night, but hey, I'm sure I've been the one who saw the most details. They only viewed, I observed. That's why I sketch.

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with "only" viewing. I do definitely see more when sketching than when simply viewing, but sometimes I find it more relaxing to just look at an object than be on a mission to capture as much detail as possible on the paper.

#6 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

Recently I have been doing imaging of stars with a Star-Analyzer (read diffraction grating). It is really cool and a lot of fun. However, I find myself going back to my sketches and looking at them for years. I suspect that a graph of a spectra will not produce that same effect! Sketching is not just recording details but it is a work of art!

#7 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

What I like to do Mike is get some observing in alongside the sketching, that way I can get the best of both worlds.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics