• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 asteroid7

asteroid7

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

Just a note to say that I appreciate all the fine sketches on this forum. Thanks for sharing the observations.
They make my day a little brighter.

Rich

#2 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

I probably speak for most....we enjoy doing it and our observing gets better as we do it. Join us!!

#3 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin Ireland

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

I find now that I have begun sketching that I am actually observing more. The object that is being sketched is studied intently for detail and this was something that I wasn't doing when I was just visually observing.

Roland is right Rich, join in the fun.

#4 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nádasdladány

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:53 AM

I find now that I have begun sketching that I am actually observing more. The object that is being sketched is studied intently for detail and this was something that I wasn't doing when I was just visually observing.

I feel just the same. Last week I was in an astro party. One night while I was sketching, I was listening to others yelling all the time what they view: "NGC 32432 WOW, M 121 WHOAA, NGC 89948 OH WOW, NGC 43243.... etc". This went on the whole night. I only observed 4 objects (actually some more, because some of them were a group of galaxies) the whole night, but hey, I'm sure I've been the one who saw the most details. They only viewed, I observed. That's why I sketch.

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with "only" viewing. I do definitely see more when sketching than when simply viewing, but sometimes I find it more relaxing to just look at an object than be on a mission to capture as much detail as possible on the paper.

#6 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

Recently I have been doing imaging of stars with a Star-Analyzer (read diffraction grating). It is really cool and a lot of fun. However, I find myself going back to my sketches and looking at them for years. I suspect that a graph of a spectra will not produce that same effect! Sketching is not just recording details but it is a work of art!

#7 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin Ireland

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

What I like to do Mike is get some observing in alongside the sketching, that way I can get the best of both worlds.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics