• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 weis14

weis14

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Holland, MI

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

I am planning on buying my first alt-az mount. I have about $600 to spend. I will be using this mount as a grab and go setup with an 80mm scope. However, I would like the mount to be able to handle a 110mm ED scope or a 6" SCT in the future.

Second, I would like the mount to be as small as possible. Slow motion controls would be nice, but are not absolutely necessary. I would also like to mount to be able to be set up with encoders for a push to system at a later date.

Any ideas?

#2 Trever

Trever

Gemini

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

You could look into a Discmounts DM-4, Williams Optics EZ touch, Stellarvue M1 or M4 mount. Universal Astronomics might also have something.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

AT Voyager is another choice. Use the extra money ($300) to buy a heavier tripod and pier extension for the Voyager and then use the leftover against the JMI encoders.

#4 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

I would second the DM-4 for the future upgrade to DSCs. You'd have to buy used though to get close to your budget (and more if you need to include the tripod). Slo-mo plus encoder ready in a "comparable" quality mount would be tough to find but with a DM-4, lack of slo-mo is not a deal breaker IMO.

#5 divers

divers

Viking 1

• Loc: Apopka, FL

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:46 PM

Have you thought about a Giro mount?

#6 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

I would highly recommend you give the GIRO series a hard look before making a decision. Having had the pleasure of borrowing one for a couple of nights it is on my short list.....CHeckout the below link:

http://www.tetontele...?cPath=25_36_70

I am planning on buying my first alt-az mount. I have about $600 to spend. I will be using this mount as a grab and go setup with an 80mm scope. However, I would like the mount to be able to handle a 110mm ED scope or a 6" SCT in the future.

Second, I would like the mount to be as small as possible. Slow motion controls would be nice, but are not absolutely necessary. I would also like to mount to be able to be set up with encoders for a push to system at a later date.

Any ideas?

#7 weis14

weis14

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Holland, MI

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have a couple of questions. Will the AT Voyager hold a 110mm F7 refractor such as the AT 111? I am worried that this might be too much for it. Also, will the DM4 or the GIRO series mount on a CG5 tripod?

#8 k5apl

k5apl

Viking 1

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

Weis14
I have owned all three and rate them DM, GIRO, and AT Voyager. DM with DSCs is best of the best. DSCs on Giro
are prone to damage (I had them).

Have you thought of a SP or CG5 mount in the Alt-Az position
instead of EQ position?

Wes

#9 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

I'd recommend that you also include the Takahashi Teegul (Lapides mod) and the Stellarvue MG in your search. I've been an alt-az fan for many years and own both these mounts. Both have very nice slo-mo controls and are very solid and smooth. DSCs are available for both. And each will handle a 110ED or a 6" SCT with no problem.

I believe the Teegul sells new for about $535 (often available used for 400-450) but you'll need to add a saddle. I think Stellarvue is selling the MG with saddle and tripod for about $500 but you may be able to buy just the mount.

FWIW, I owned a Voyager for awhile and it's a very nice mount for an 80mm class scope but IMO is at its limit with a 102mm ED. Lots of folks seem to use the Voyager with a 102 but personally I wasn't happy with it when compared with the Teegul and MG which both have much better damping characteristics.

You've set a good budget and ought to be able to find a nice setup in the $600 range.

Phil

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics