Photo

Albireo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Demelza

Demelza

Mariner 2

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:01 PM

I've made this sketch of Albireo to practice with the color schemes that I've use recently.

Name: Albireo
Type: Double Star
Constellation: Cygnus

Site: Ieper, Belgium (Starnights 2009)
Date: August 21, 2009

Telescope: 8" Sky-Watcher Dobson
Magnification: 111x

Attached Files

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hello Demelza
Is Starnight a nice starparty? I've never been there. It was in my agenda, but I was to lazy to take the car.
About the sketch: the two stars of Albireo looks oval (not round) to me. Was this done by intention?

#3 Demelza

Demelza

Mariner 2

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

Hi Jef,

Starnights is indeed a nice starparty, although I didn't actually observed a lot because of the bad skies (light pollution, sky beamer) and there is a lot to talk about with other amateurs ofcourse.

About the sketch: the two stars are indeed oval shaped. It wasn't my intention, I simply haven't pay attention for its shape. This is my first sketch of a double star with color and I wanted to try the color combination.

If someone has some tips about coloring double stars (preferably with the program The Gimp) I'd love to hear them. ;)

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

Demelza,

In terms of round stars I found I had to make my own brushes under brush editor to get the affect I wanted. For a star I take my radius up to how big I want the star (can change this when making them if you want) and I lower the spikes to two. I up the hardness to get a nice round feature leaving the Aspect Ratio on its lowest setting. I leave angle and spacing alone (unless I am creating a different affect.

I recommend playing with this and you'll find you can create PN's, galaxies, globulars and other DSO's using this tool. In terms of color prior to putting the star on your background you can change the color as I'm sure you know. Depending on the object you can use a blur or a gaussian blur to change the affect. I'll let others who have far more experience speak up. I hope this helped. I'm getting use to the program and playing with it quite a lot since it is what I have for now.

Another way is to go to filters, light and shadow and supernova and insert the color the you want on the supernova. Watch for the flare, they can get away.

I do like the color contrast you have in your sketch.

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

Demelza,

I can't help you with the electronic sketching but I will say I like your colors for the famous pair. Nicely done. :bow: :cool: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#6 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

Beautiful sketch of this colorful double Demelza! :waytogo:

#7 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:09 PM

very nice view of the cub scout double congrads.

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

Demelza,

An excellent observation of Albireo showing it's colors nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics