• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

The First Interrupted Dinner

I felt miserable. I am not sure what was worse: an underlying headache, watering eyes, the stuffed up head, or the constant coughing up of junk from my nasal passages. I managed to locate some food and toss it in the microwave then retreat to the front porch to eat. I got as far as two forks of food before noticing the pale moon showing itself between maple branches and leaves. So, as with other sketch opportunities that are unexpected and maybe even a little inconvenient, I figured I would not feel any worse if I sketched and would probably be better for it.

The Scene

Moon position: 15 degrees above SSE horizon
Sun position: below the mountain ridge but still a ½ hour before twilight
Sky: orange blue (typical hazy air before sunset)
Time period: 15 minutes starting at 7:50 local EDT

The “Second” Interrupted Dinner

I was not half way through the sketch when I recalled a dinner at the house of Simon the Leper, where a lady slipped into a room full of men, who had reclined to eat. She dramatically interrupted the scene as she slipped beside Jesus Christ and broke an alabaster jar of perfume over his head. The dramatic interruption was followed with the harsh rebukes from the indignant men. Jesus corrected them and declared the act in its proper light: a preparation for his burial, but also declared that the act of the woman would be told in memory of her wherever the good news of the Kingdom of God was preached. For Jesus, the interruption became the purpose of the meal. And so, interruptions in the hand of God take can often take on a different light. I should pay attention to interruptions.

Reference: Mark 14:1-9

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

Eoland,

I'm glad your dinner was interrupted. Your fine sketch was not interrupted. Your allergies or whatever made you feel so low will abate with that first frost and it will be here soon enough. Fine work and lesson. :bow: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

Thanks, Frank. Another good time to give thanks.

#4 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

Very cool lunar sketch.

#5 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

Roland,

Wonderful sketch and thought. I call those interrupted moments "magical moments." Interruptions are often done by people who are reaching out. Reach back and connection happens and without a cell phone or text message! Thanks for sharing.

#6 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:21 PM

Roland,

Very nice sketch! This interruption was magical as Jay pointed out.

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

Thank you Tommy5, Jay, and Rich. Yes, it was a special moment. But as many have noted, there are quite a few of those for most folks but it is easy to let them slip past. It is amazing to me that God works in the very time he created--often providing me fleeting opportunities to act or decide something or do something that will affect much later on. This sketch opportunity reminds of those times and has caused me to recall the need to respond clearly and quickly when the opportunity is there.

#8 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

A very nice sketch Roland. Astronomy is about the only thing that can get me away from food. :roflmao: Hope your feeling better!

#9 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

Thank you Shannon. Not much better but enough to go after another target last night.

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

Roland,

An inspirational observation of the heavens for us all. Whenever we feel down we just need to look up and see the glory of the maker. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#11 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Thanks, Carlos. Your comment is what I have told a dear friend in Uganda who heads a ministry in a small poor rural area....that the children, regardless of age and economic status, can look up, see, and observe the same things as anyone else...and be drawn to their Creator as much as anyone else. It is a powerful argument for teaching observational astronomy in far away places where it has never been considered.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics