Mount for an Intes MK 67 Mak-Cass

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mejacobs

mejacobs

Ranger 4

• Loc: Santiago de Chile

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

Hi. I am looking for suggestions on mounting a new (to me) Intes MK 67. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to start with an Alt-Az or GEM set-up, but am leaning towards the former. I live in the center of the light-polluted Twin Cities metro area, so I'm looking largely to use this scope for planet, the moon, and brighter star clusters. My neighborhood has lots of big old trees, so moving from object to object will also likely entail moving the entire set-up from place to place. That's one of the main reasons I'm thinking Alt-Az. But perhaps a lighter GEM using just a rough polar alignment would be okay, too (and have the benefit of tracking). I have a budget of $600 or so.

One mount that was suggested in the Astro-Tech Voyager. Another I am considering would be a UA Macrostar on an Oberwerk surveyor tripod. And of course I would consider any other suggestions.

For a GEM, if I go that route, I am considering the LXD75 or the Celestron/Orion/Skyview CG5.

I'd be interested in hearing first whether an Alt-Az or GEM would be better, and then any specific suggestions. Bonus points for any mounts that would match the neo-Stalinist design ethic of this scope. :grin: Thanks!

Mike

#2 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

For this focal length scope I would personally go with an equatorial. I had an Intes MK67 Deluxe and it could easily hold 60x per inch. At 360x your target object will move across the field pretty quickly if not driven. The Intes is also a relatively heavy scope with it's tube assembly being a bit heavier than an standard C-8. I did use mine on both a Super Polaris DX as well as a Light Speed Wagon. See photos of both. While the Wagon alt-azimuth is a great mount it is better suited for my 6" f/5 as well as my Miyauchi 100 mm binoculars, not the 1800 mm fl. Intes.

Barry Simon

Attached Files

#3 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

Here is the same scope on a LightSpeed Wagon Alt-Azimuth mount.

Barry Simon

Attached Files

#4 PJF

PJF

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

Congrats on your acquisition of the MK67, Mike; a fine instrument.

I’ve used mine on both alt-az and German equatorial and it would be tough for me to choose one over the other given that I use the ‘scope for deep sky as much as for solar system items (not that I use the ‘scope that much nowadays - see sig). With your stated priorities I think I would go for the gem.

The Orion SkyView Pro handles the MK67 well for light-medium visual use (forget it for imaging or for advanced hard-core observing/sketching). Tracking is a real boon for long duration high magnification views, and the (non-extended) mount generally puts the eyepiece at a comfortable height for sitting. The whole thing can be picked up and moved a fair distance by a fit adult of average build. There’s a knack to positioning, but once you get it it’s just a question of leaning sideways a bit with the complex pivoted slightly on your hip whilst raised a few inches off the ground (axes locked!). The mount is cheap, easy to set up and pretty durable.

For alt-az I use a Tele-Optik GiroII (on a lightweight wooden surveying tripod). Usually there is an ED80 refractor on the other side for widefield scanning and balance. Although the mount can handle the MK67 by itself in terms of smooth axial movements, the centre of gravity is a bit worryingly lopsided (one clumsy lapse of concentration and it’s over). Lots of DSOs have been eaten up by the MK67 on this mount (it’s surprising good in this role), which makes sense because the GiroII enables both quick-and-easy slews to new selections and smooth and easy manual tracking once you’re there. I find tracking planets at high mags quite easy too, but I certainly wouldn’t want to spend all night doing it. Again it is possible to move in one go but is actually more difficult (v. top heavy with my tripod).

The pic is just after I got the Orion mount (a s/h bargain) so only one counterweight and no motor. Gives an idea, though. Sorry, no pic of MK on GiroII.

Attached Files

#5 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

My MK67 can be put on my Voyager AltAz mount as well as my eq mounts (HEQ5Pro and CG-5GT). But for planetary observation, I prefer the eq. mount.

K W TONG
C8+CG-5GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

Attached Files

#6 titan7

titan7

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: So. California

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:55 AM

I have my Intes MK 66 on a Vixen GPDX with an Ash Tripod. It's very stable, but I think at least for me it's the minimum mount for this scope, the OTA, finder, 2" diag, diag extention, and eyepiece add up quickly. I Would bet mine is about 14Lbs.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics