• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Turner

Richard Turner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NC

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:20 AM

Bought a new CGEM mount two months ago. It has worked fine, until tonight. The hand control :(is lit but there are no characters. The hand control will slew the mount but that's all that can be done.

I spread the pins in the power jack slightly, and also tried my Nexstar 11 AC adapter. No luck.

A call or e-mail to Celestron tech dept. is what I probably need to do. Hopefully they can just replace the hand controller without me having to send the mount.

Richard

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:24 AM

A call or e-mail to Celestron tech dept. is what I probably need to do. Hopefully they can just replace the hand controller without me having to send the mount.

Richard

Before you do that, check the HC cable/connector...look for cleanliness and that the little pins are intact.

#3 coper4

coper4

Sputnik

• Loc: Walterboro,SC

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

I had the same problem with mine. The dealer replaced mine with no problem but it is probably a loose ribbon cable from the LED inside. If you don't mind voiding your warranty on the hand controller then open it up and check it out. Or, just call the dealer you bought it from and see if they will replace it. If you send it back to Celestron you won't get it back for about 6 weeks.

#4 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

I just started having the same problem!
Hand controller has no display ... slew buttons seem to work. However, it does not track at sidereal if left going.

Question... if HC is not connected, will the mount track at sidereal rate .. as a default?
That would be a nice feature.

Rob

#5 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

The "other" Synta mounts need the firmware in the hand controller to tell the motor contoller board in the mount head what rate to track. Default on power up is "0", until an alignment is performed with the hand controller, or until a rate is set manually in the hand controller.

If CGEM mimics this function in its system, the motor controller card in the mount is at zero rates in both axes unless told something else from the outside.

Good Luck!

#6 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

Dumb. Default should be sidereal. That way the mount will work for tracking, even if the hand controller craps out, you cut a cable, or a connector breaks.

Rob

#7 DavidW

DavidW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

If you have a little netbook you could try controlling it using the NexRemote maybe. Probably not what you want to hear but just an idea. If you get that far you could use a planetarium program to control the mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics