• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

I got a chance to look at Jupiter under decent conditions early this morning. This is a sectional sketch where I sketched features as they crossed the Jovian central meridian--this is one way to keep up with the rapid rotation of Jupiter.

I've been wanting to do a sketch like this for sometime. It has the advantage of slowing things down, as you are just concentrating on what is visible on the central meridian (CM). With Jupiter so low, I had to leap ahead of the CM a little as the session progressed and the seeing deteriorated as Jupiter sank into the mush. It's still an interesting technique though, and I recommend that Jupiter observers try it.

I used HB, 2B, and 6B pencils for the sketch on recycled Strathmore paper. Blending was done with my finger. I used a circle template to render Io's shadow.

The very dark barge following the Great Red Spot (GRS) and the festoon extending all the way across the Equatorial Zone (EZ) were notable.

When I began the sketch, Io was just off the following limb. I could see it for a while inside the limb, but once it passed further in front of the disk, I could no longer make it out. Io's shadow was quite prominent. It moved across the disk faster than Jupiter rotated--its position is noted on the sketch at the end of the observation time--0600 UT.

Good luck with your own Jupiter observations. :)

Attached Files

#2 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:06 PM

Wow very detailed and accurate sketch of jup and the grs, that barge following it is really dark and prominent and shadow transits are about the best thing to watch in planetary observations thanks for sharing.Io is very hard to follow when it is above a light zone .

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:11 PM

Michael,

That is a very interesting way to sketch Jupiter at a more relaxed pace. The sketch is very good and you have literally unrolled the planet. I like it a lot. :cool: :bow: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Great sectional sketch of Jupiter Michael! :bow: :jump: :bow: I like the idea of concentrating on the central meridian, it really seems that you were able to relax and the record the details in a more leisurely fashion. Would I be correct in assuming that if you were to do a longer sketch, say 3-4 hours, you would have a much longer rectangle? Is it ever possible to record Jupiter's entire globe in one marathon sketch session? Fascinating and delightful sketch! :goodjob:

#5 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:24 PM

Very nice, Michael. It was very bright later on...I wondered if you might have similar conditions and grab it.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the comments, folks. It does seem to be a more relaxed way of capturing the rapidly rotating King than trying to snatch a "snapshot" of the whole disc, but I don't have much experience. Carlos Hernandez and Matt Looby have both posted sectional (or strip) sketches of Jupiter--maybe they can describe their take on the technique.

Would I be correct in assuming that if you were to do a longer sketch, say 3-4 hours, you would have a much longer rectangle? Is it ever possible to record Jupiter's entire globe in one marathon sketch session? Fascinating and delightful sketch! :goodjob:

Rich,

Yes, you would have a longer rectangle with more sketch time. The limiting factor is how long Jupiter is high enough to make adequate observations. Theoretically, with Jupiter at a very favorable apparition during the longest nights of the year, you could catch Jupiter at opposition and follow it the whole night through a complete rotation. That would be akin to a Messier Marathon--just as difficult and much more rare an opportunity.

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

Michael,

An outstanding sectional sketch of the Great Red Spot (GRS)/Equatorial Zone (EZ)/North Equatorial Belt (NEB) regions of Jupiter. You have captured much detail over this active region of the planet. Sectional sketches are excellent to depict interesting areas of a planet. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

Carlos,

Thank you for your comments. I hope to try this technique again soon. :)

#9 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Michael,

Inspirational. I enjoyed the report of the technique and the sketch. Now if the clouds would go away my way . . .

#10 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

Jay,

Thank you for your kind comments. I hope you will try this technnique if you get the opportunity. This year seems to be an especially cloudy one--maybe because of El Nino.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics