Photo

Tripod / Mount Suggestions for Binos / Solar Scope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 orveko

orveko

Viking 1

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

I'm a Dob owner, thus I know nothing of those ... whatchamacallit ... tripods. I'm looking for a tripod for my 15x70 binoculars that can work double duty for a future PST or Lunt LS35. Since I don't have a solar scope at the moment, the most important factor is that it can support the binos at a comfortable standing height - I'm about six foot. I'd need an L-adapter too, so any suggestions with those would be great.

Basically, I'm looking for the tripod equivalent of an Abbe Ortho: simple, inexpensive, yet an outstanding performer.

Thanks ahead of time!

#2 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:42 PM

I'm a Dob owner, thus I know nothing of those ... whatchamacallit ... tripods. I'm looking for a tripod for my 15x70 binoculars that can work double duty for a future PST or Lunt LS35. Since I don't have a solar scope at the moment, the most important factor is that it can support the binos at a comfortable standing height - I'm about six foot. I'd need an L-adapter too, so any suggestions with those would be great.

Basically, I'm looking for the tripod equivalent of an Abbe Ortho: simple, inexpensive, yet an outstanding performer.

I use a Manfrotto 028B tripod with the Manfrotto 501 HDV head: it is rock solid with my 16x70 binoculars and will easily handle a small refractor or solar scope. The tripod extends to something like 8 feet if you fully extend everything, so I think it will cover standing height for just about anyone.

I use a very solid "C" bracket binocular adapter from Oberwerk to mount my binos to the head. It allows you to mount a red dot finder which I find very handy, and it is better and cheaper than the Farpoint bracket. I also have a Pentax binocular adapter which is super-sturdy. Avoid the plastic adapters as they will wobble with heavy binos. I returned both a Celestron adapter and an Orion Telescopes adapter as they were both too wobbly.

As for cheap -- that is relative to your budget. Having suffered with some inadequate gear, I think it is better to get good quality and buy only once.

Look for "EdZ's" posts in the bino forum and in the Reviews section: he is the bino expert and has tried just about every commonly-available binoculars tripod or mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics