Jupiter's South Polar Region

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

I was able to make sectional sketch of the Southern hemisphere of Jupiter extending from the South Tropical Zone (STrZ) to the South Polar Region (SPR) on August 23, 2009 (03:40 U.T.) using my 9-inch (23-cm) F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain at 310x. I was able to detect a good amount of detail over the South Temperate Belt (STB, 3/10) over which I noted multiple white ovals of various sizes. The South Tropical Zone (STrZ) appeared bright (7/10) with a dark (3/10) condensation towards the preceding limb as well as a thin, dark (3/10) projection extending from the northern border of the NEB. The South Temperate Zone (STZ) appeared thin and shaded to bright (6-7/10). The South South Temperate Belt (SSTB) appeared dark to shaded (3-4/10), thin and irregular. The South South Temperate Zone (SSTZ) appeared thin and shaded (6/10). The South South South Temperate Belt (SSSTB) appeared broad and dusky (4/10). The South South South Temperate Zone (SSSTZ) appeared thin and shaded (6/10). The South Polar Region (SPR) appeared dark to dusky (3-4/10) and mottled.

A digital image produced using Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:00 PM

Carlos,

I love your rendering of the South Polar Region and the white ovals. I love your capture and sketch of thin dark projection. Well done!!!!

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:04 AM

Very nice sharp detailed sketch, maybe micheal's sectional sketch has started a new trend, you must have had quite a view to get all of that small detail, thanks for posting.

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

Carlos, amazingly detailed view of the South Polar Region of Jupiter. Beautiful color, an awesome observation! :bow: :rainbow: :bow:

#5 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:02 PM

Great detailed sketched observation.

The details you present are amongst the more difficult ones to suss out unless you dig deep.

These are the kind of details that most folks overlook or can't be sure of. It takes a bit of time to not only realize that these details are there, but also a very quick response time to quickly render and visually understand what has been seen. This is just on a simple visual and relatively non-intellectual level.

See and sketch first...., think later. :)

Great Photoshop CS3 sketch Carlos! They just keep getting better and better.

Thanks,

#6 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

Carlos, that is unbelievable. I need to get some higher power Eps or something. That is unreal, my highest is 6mm even barlowed I can't see that. Steady skies over here on the west or should I say central FL would be nice. Hell I would be happy with clear skies, anyway - stunning job. :jawdrop: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

Carlos,

A most excellent sketch from you and your trusty Mak-Cas. :cool: As Sol mentioned, those high latitude details are very difficult to detect and render--I'm going to have to try harder.

You are El Supremo. :bow:

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:29 PM

Carlos,

That level of detail is beyond awesome. Jupiter would need to reach much higher into my sky to see white ovals that small on a near perfect night. Seeing it would only be step one rendering the details viewed would be the high hurdle.
Stunning work Carlos. :bow: :cool: :rainbow: :waytogo:

Frank :)

#9 Aldebaran

Aldebaran

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Turku, Finland

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:46 AM

Carlos,

Very accurate and detailed sketch! Very impressive work! :D

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thank you all very much for the kind compliments on my Jupiter South Polar Region (SPR) sectional sketch. It was fun being able to see so much detail over this region of Jupiter. An observer of Jupiter may at times note a bright oval or dark condensation over the polar regions (except of course for comets (WCIS) slamming into this part of Jupiter!) so when such detail is visible it is a pleasure. The best of luck in your own observations of Jupiter.

Carlos

#11 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Haven, CT

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

Absolutely awesome. What technique did you use to get such a realistic rendering of hues and colors? This amazes me even more that the amount of details.

IDP :bow:

#12 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

Very nice. I am sure it was a pleasure with that planet-killer scope to catch a good night. The sketch shows you must have enjoyed the concentrated observing time.

#13 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

IDP and Roland,

Thank you both for the compliments on my sectional sketch of Jupiter's South Polar Region (SPR). It was exciting seeing so much detail over this region.

I used my Wacom digital tablet and Photoshop (CS3) to create the rendering above. I first created a larger Jupiter disk than cropped the polar region in order to focus on that. The outlines of the detail were lightly placed then using the airbrush function I added the colors visible until agreeing with what I was observing.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics