Nimble Movement, Nimble Sight

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

Only a few hours earlier I had walked my dog through a path in the woods when a lone deer gracefully but quickly and bounded away from me after being startled by my footsteps. He never made a sound in his movement. The dog never heard the deer, and, since he is short, never saw him. It took the right perspective, which I had, to see what happened. I recalled the event in the evening as I began to roam the SW skies with a 4 inch refractor and a little astro-video camera.

By late evening I was examining a wedge of the lunar SE but I started sketching too late and the haze blanket was thick. Nevertheless, the tools enabled me to enjoy the region as the moon raced toward the horizon. After mapping some basic craters and highlighting some of the upper terrain on several, two wedges of black moved over the bottom of the moon. I thought they were clouds but I discovered they were tree branches from a distant locust tree. I had to stop ...

Attached Files

#2 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

...but then I shifted my sight line about 30 degrees to the peak of Sagittarius and changed my focused attention from an object a quarter million miles away to 10000 l.y. away. I did a quick sketch of the mighty M22 before turning to M28, which is 20000 l.y. away and only a fraction of the visual magnitude of M22. By 11:30 (local time) my evening was over.

It does not escape my notice that I am free like a deer and just as silent as my field of view can quickly change to embrace the beauty of objects that are close, far, bright or dim. To me the grace and mercy of God is obvious as his imprint on me enables me to shift focus quietly and quickly to objects so radically different. And using the mind he as so carefully constructed us to have, I am able to ponder the scenes, imagine standing beside the moon as it hurtles past me, or approach a globular to consider its characteristics. While my view is limited, my access bequeathed: intended to cause me to consider the Author of it all. Yet, without perspective or without an ability to lift my eyes to see, I would miss it all, just like my dog never saw the deer. I find that I choose whether to take note of things or not, but the heavens beckon us to thoughtfully observe.

Jeremiah 32:17 “Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.”

Attached Files

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

Roland,

I enjoyed your creative presentations of, as well as your reflections on, these (relatively) near and very distant objects.

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

Roland, nice capture of a wedge of the moon and of M22 and M28. I like the chain of stars in M22.

Your thoughts and insights cause me to often reflect and though I may reach a different conclusion, I am thankful for your posts and for getting my mind thinking.

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Roland,

Wonderful sketching posts and lessons for us all.

Frank :)

#6 Aldebaran

Aldebaran

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Turku, Finland

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:34 AM

Impressive sketches, Roland, good work! :)

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

Thank you Michael, Jay, Frank, and Juha. It is seldom not a treat to observe.

#8 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

Roland. Always love your stories and sketches. :jump:

#9 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

Thanks Shannon. Glad you enjoy both. Have to give credit to Another for the stories...they come too quickly and unexpectedly for me to take original credit. Once that happens, I work at it a bit to put the words down, and that is what you see. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics