Sketching is an obscure project!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

I found this one in an old Astronomy (October 1997). I don't know the author (Richard Jakiel), but I think he doesn't like sketching!

Attached Files

#2 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

I think you have misread that. By 'obscure' Rich just means that it's a project not often tackled by folks. Rich is a great sketcher himself, I have met him a couple of times and observed with him at TSP in 2006. His sketches are superb.

#3 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

Actually do you ever notice how many people are on a given forum on a regular basis? Usually around 55 are looking at refractors and about 30 at Cats and Cases. 14 for equipment but sketching has an average of 3! Tells me that it is an obscure past time and has been passed by the, "if it costs more then it must be fun crowd!" At one time sketching was the essence of astronomy, now it is what a few hard core folks do for fun. When I was a kid Sky and Telescope was filled with beautiful sketches from amateurs and black and white pictures from observatories. Those sketches have now been supeceded by DSLR guys. So it is obscure! Still it is a wonderful, enjoyable way to spend an evening, obscure or not!

#4 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

Still it is a wonderful, enjoyable way to spend an evening, obscure or not!

Absolutely. I can't help feeling that the 'let's jump into imaging feet first and forget the rest' brigade are missing out on an absolute joy. Still, each to their own. There's room for all of us.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics