• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 YVR CDN

YVR CDN

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

I'd like your input on a light solid tripod for a Half Hitch alt-az mount, 106mm refractor.

Is one not advised to go for a carbon fibre tripod versus a ash tripod?

Thanks,

#2 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

I use an Oberwerk wooden tripod from bigbinoculars.com I purchased the "blem" for $75 and have yet to find the blem. It workd great with my HalfHitch and Televue 102. I is a great deal and very sturdy tripod.

Oberwerk tripod blem special

#3 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

I use a carbon fiber for the HH when I want stability and portability. I use a quality wooden tripod when I want the greatest stability and weight is not a major concern. A quality CF tripod may very well be better than several wooden tripods but I don't think it can be matched by a wood tripod of the quality of Berlebach UNI series or the AP/Baader. I personally think it is well worth matching a mount like the HH with a very high quality tripod. For what you will pay for a Gitzo 5 series, for example, you can purchase a truly outstanding tripod like a Berlebach Uni or "planet" and still have some money left over. I'm not against CF by any means but if you first concern is performance, the choice is pretty easy.

There have been lots of threads on this subject, some fairly recent (within last couple of weeks).

#4 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

I'm using the recommended KN tripod with mine, and like it a lot. I have a good Carbon Fiber tripod, would like to use it with it, but might be overloading it a bit.. it's only rated at 25 lbs. A good C/F tripod would be sweet, but for something with an appropriate weight capability, you're going to pay a lot.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics