telepod questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikee

mikee

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:49 AM

I just purchased a SkyWatcher 100ed. It's fairly light but has a long tube (@ 34"). I'm contemplating buying a Telepod head to put on my Oberwerk wooden surveyor tripod but have a few questions about the telepod that googling for quite a while failed to answer

1) What is the load capacity of the Telepod? All the TV docs and/or reseller info states it works with a TV85 and smaller TV refractors

2) Is the mount specific to TV? Again - the docs describe attaching TV refractors but no other information was available as to how you would attach something like the 100ed. My 100ed has tube rings that are currently attached to a vixen dovetail and I also have an extra losmandy style plate as well. can I attach a losmandy plate to the telepod?

3) Are they stable when used with a heavy wooden tripod? My Obwerk weighs about 12 pounds and is pretty sturdy. And is a 100ed too much length for a Telepod?

Thanks very much for any information.

Mike

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:00 AM

I think the length of the 100ED will be more of an issue with the Telepod, but I'd say the load capacity to be under 12lbs. That said, I would agree with the documentation that it works best with the 85 and under TV scopes.

The Telepod is, for the most part, meant for TeleVue ota's, as far as attaching to the mount itself. The 3 unthreaded 1/4" holes on the Telepod cradle line up with TV clamshell ring and or TV/Vixen dovetail adapter for atttachment via batwing bolts from underneith the cradle.

Stability with 4", long focus ota's will be shakey at anything but low mags, in my experience. I have successfully used the Telepod ,and Celestron anti-vibe pads, with a 120ST and Genesis SDF(f/5.4). Had not so good results with a FS-102 and TV-102.

You can try the Telepod and may have a different opinion, but would recommend a GIRO II, III , WO Easy Touch or UA Unistar for your 100ED.

BTW, I had to drill an extra hole in the vixen dovetail and use 2 bolts with nuts in order to attach the 120ST dovetail bar to the Telepod cradle .

#3 mikee

mikee

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

THanks Jim -

That's exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll go with the Unistar or Giro.

Back to the googling board. :)

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics