• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

Last night after dragging the 12"er out the clouds moved in, of course. After about an hour it cleared up a little. I was so close to bringing it back in, naaahhhh. Jupiter was riding low in the southeastern sky. I started off with my 26mm 2" Q-70 ep 58x mag, just to check my Telrad was where it should be. The seeing was 3/10 and transparency 7/10. There it was, the bright little white orb. I tweaked the focuser a bit, past focus, then back. Jupiter glowed white with two rusted bands around the center, its moons keeping stride through the field of view. The group flowed in a deep black abyss of the low powered ep. Diffraction spikes blew off in four directions of Jupiter, dim white with small hints of rainbow slices in them. I thought I saw something right off to the bottom left corner. I took a deep breath, widened my eye and refocused. What is that... it's not a moon; it's too low and dim. By now Jupiter was at about 40 degrees in the sky. I grabbed my 9mm ep put it in once again towards focus past then back again. Jupiter flickered in and out of focus at 167x mag. A dim star (TYC6361-282-1) in Capricornus. My eye kept wondering down to it as I observed Jupiter. I could not get Carlos's sketch out of my head (of Jupiter's south polar region). Let's see what my scope will do- well, my scope lacks in focal length, but I've got plenty of aperture. I stuck my 6mm ep in my 2x barlow(500xmag). Absolutely not, maybe on a cold clear night. Not tonight, nothing but flickering white banded moosh. I pulled it out and put the 9mm ep back in - much better. This is what I came up with. As Jupiter rose of course I could pull more detail. Sorry bout the *BLEEP* cellphone pic. Trying to master the ancient art of the sketch and scoot technique- handed down by the masters. Ha ha. Oh yeah- Orion XT12 F/4.9 305mm, 9mm expanse ep, HB pencil on copying paper only because I like the smoothness. 8/29/09 11 pm.

Attached Files

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

Shannon,

Nice sketch and observation. You were able to see a fair amount of detail over the Jovian disk even with below average seeing conditions.

From the time you mentioned in your report, I believe the dark spot you noted in the South Tropical Zone is the dark region following the elusive Oval BA (29 Aug. 11:00PM EDT/30 Aug. 0300 UT CM II: 298°). Good catch!

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

Excellent observation report and sketch Shannon! :waytogo: As Michael mentioned you were able to capture a lot of detail despite the seeing conditions. The cellphone camera image isn't all that bad. You are becoming a master of "sketch n' scoot"! ;)

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

Nice sketch...and I really don't think there is such a thing as a raw sketch. Looks good to me. :)

#5 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

Michael,Rich,and Roland. Thank you all for your compliments. I guess any time under the scope is good as long as you can see something.Some are just better than others. I took the small hand truck off the scope so it scoots a little better.

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

Shannon,

I think it is an excellent sketch because you drew it as you saw it.:waytogo: :bow: :cool: That is exactly what it is all about. If the sky conditions are poor you will always see less and will draw less than when the conditions are great. Keep sketching it is practice and refinement training. :rainbow:

Frank :)

#7 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

That's it. Thanks Frank. Draw it like ya saw it. :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics