Scheiner through Cirro-stratus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:00 PM

While conditions were poor, the seeing was good for a bit at the beginning but it was still a beautiful night.....and another one to give thanks.

Paper: plain black construction paper
Pastels: one white, one grey, one black
Sketch time: 10:30 to 11:10 pm EDT

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:32 AM

Roland,

This is a most beautiful capture of Scheiner. :bow: Your treatment of shadow in this sketch is very realistic and shows this crater just as it looks in the eyepiece. Great work with this one. Thanks for posting this very impressive drawing. :cool: :bow: :rainbow: :waytogo:

Frank :)

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

Thanks Frank. Ever sketched lunar walls? Just before choosing this crater I noticed what looked like a pass against sheer mountains a little bit further West and North. It was tempting but the sky was deteriorating so I stuck with the crater. Reminded me of one of those passes that light goes through that you catch once in a while.

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

Roland,

Your observation of Scheiner is a shiner! You have captured the shadows, floor/walls, and surrounding areas very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

Very nice sketch of Scheiner, good use of shadows and texture.

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

Thank you Tommy and Carlos. Having a low target really helped since I just hiked up the chair a bit and used a high table to work from. With the Dob, high moon really means going to astro video to avoid the up/down and back strain.

#7 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

Roland,

I think this is one of the most impressive lunar sketches I have ever seen! :bow: :bow: :bow: Fantastic perspective. What really strikes me is the uncanny sense that my eyes travel across a plain and then over the rugged rim of Scheiner, drop into the wonderful depth of the floor, surveying the floor crater, then beyond to the far wall into the shadowed distance. This sketch is one of your finest! :waytogo:

#8 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

Thanks, Rich. I'm really not sure its that good but I can tell I am getting a better sense of things as I do them. I don't think I could articulate exactly what that means, however. Tonight I did Babbage....sort of the same result but I had erase parts of the crater 4 or 5 times. Sometimes the terrain is too complex for me to figure what I am seeing, so I just train to see lights and darks until it begins to make sense. Not sure if this is right, but it is what I do.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics