Photo

CGEM Firmwrae updates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Rumfield

Bob Rumfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

Could someone please tell me what the Hand Control Ver. 1.1.12 and Motor Control Ver. 2.2.1 Firmware updates actual correct on my CGEM? I do not feel comforatble doing updates without some knowledge of why I need to. I was not able to find this info on the Celestron website.

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

Those are the executables that actually do the upgrades ... the firmware itself if labeled something like gem4.16 for the HC and 5.06 for the MCs. You need both the executable and the firmware to do an upgrade.

Read through the procedures on Mike's site www.nexstarsite.com for all the details.

And just a thought ... with a brand new CGEM if you're not experiencing problems why do an upgrade?

#3 Bob Rumfield

Bob Rumfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

I was looking to see if maybe the upgrade was updating errors in the star catalogs or had fixes on areas like hand controller problems as discussed in other forum posts. At present I see no such problems with my mount.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

Bob,

I'd read through the firmware changes listed on Mike's site. I believe that CGEM's come with HC gem4.15 and 4.16 is the latest available ... not too much incentive there. The MC firmware update however looks like it could be useful.

The reason I mentioned the question about the upgrade is that some folks update just for the sake of having the latest and greatest and whenever you do an upgrade your run the risk (tiny as it is though) of messing something up and having to jump through a few hoops to get your scope back in operation. For me I always ask myself "is the reward worth the risk" and that usually helps me leave well enough alone until I really need to make a change.

#5 Bob Rumfield

Bob Rumfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

Mark, thanks for your reply. I see that you use some tandem mounts. Do you feel that setup is more favorable than the piggy back style?

Bob

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:40 AM

For my purposes I like the tandem or side by side better. I'm mostly visual and with the larger refractor and the C11 mounted together on a CGE it would be a lot of weight on the one dovetail plate and saddle ... with lots of leaverage too. So tandem makes for a more secure and stable mounting for my larger scopes. Balancing the whole thing takes a bit longer but I think it's worth it for the better stability. On the smaller CG-5 there was another reason ... it is very difficult to attach anything to my C6 so it made more sense to simply put the 80mm scope beside and not on top of the C6.

If I was just using the two refractors together then piggybacking becomes an option since for the larger refractor I have a Losmandy D plate under the rings and a vixen dovetail on top of them, making it really easy to put 3 point rings for the 80mm on top of the 115mm refractor.

All of this is a bit mute since for imaging I'm starting to use a modified 50mm finderscope as my autoguider. This little scope is mounted on a saddle that attaches to the main dovetail plate so it usually sits underneath either the C11, C6 or 115mm scope and therefore there is no need to mount the 80mm scope.

#7 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

The HC update to 4.16 is a really good idea if you are in the Southern Hemisphere because it makes aligning work.

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics