Vixen A80SS Refractor OTA

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Javier

Javier

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

I know I'm being a pain but the Vixen A80SS really caught my attention versus the Celestron Omni 120. Would anyone know if this little guy will mount right on a Celestron CG4 mount? If it does I think I'm ordering it. By the way any experience with the scope?

Thanks for all the help.

Jav

#2 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

Jav, the scope is great, except for the coma you'll experience outside the very center of the field. This may or may not bother you, depending on your experience level. I'm in the process of replacing mine with a Tak Sky-90.

Chris

#3 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:29 AM

I have one. Good scope. I'll try to answer questions not covered by my web.

http://www.barrie-ta.../vixen80ss.html

Ciao....Barry

#4 Keithdrengen

Keithdrengen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nothern hemisphere

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

How is the diagonal comming with this Vixen a80ss telescope?
As good as one of these 1/10 wave 99% diagonals, and could it be fit in the Vixen scope?
CJ

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

I know I'm being a pain but the Vixen A80SS really caught my attention versus the Celestron Omni 120. Would anyone know if this little guy will mount right on a Celestron CG4 mount? If it does I think I'm ordering it. By the way any experience with the scope?

Thanks for all the help.

Jav

Jav: I am curious why you would choose this scope. I am sure it is a nice scope but it is 80mmm F/5 Achromat that costs over $400, for you are getting into the range of an APO/ED scope, it will have a longer focal length so the maximum field of view will be a bit less but it will provide considerably better views at higher magnifications.

Jon

#6 Keithdrengen

Keithdrengen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nothern hemisphere

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:48 AM

It has a flat field? How did they make that in a 2-lense?
CJ

#7 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

Not sure. The William Optics ZS66 ED also has a fairly flat field for a short focus refractor. Some points about the Vixen 80SS is the large diameter drawtube and focus travel. This makes for a very stable platform for photography or attaching heavy accessories like bino-viewers. Not the best focuser (old R&P), but images snap to focus quicker than some crayford's I have. Good scope and also makes a VG birder too.

Ciao....Barry

It has a flat field? How did they make that in a 2-lense?
CJ

#8 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

I read somewhere that if the Vixen has an "f" in the name, e.g. 100SSf then it's China made whereas no "f" means Japan.

Which could explain why this A80SS costs so much..

#9 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Loc: Mid-Michigan

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

I read somewhere that if the Vixen has an "f" in the name, e.g. 100SSf then it's China made whereas no "f" means Japan.

Which could explain why this A80SS costs so much..

Yes, the "f" designation is used on their Chinese/Taiwanese scopes. I have found these to be of good quality as they are supposedly checked over in Japan before sent out to dealers....

I was told that the A80SS is Japanese made by the Vixen rep at NEAF.

#10 muni

muni

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:32 AM

It is a good scope. Well-built, has a beefy focuser, and has a dewshield that cleverly unscrews and screws back on reverse, making it very compact.

But if you are using it for AP, you will be disappointed. CA is very obvious, and there is coma at the edge of the field. Afterall, it is a fast achromat. Very good for visual grab-n-go scope, though

Joel

#11 Valdemar

Valdemar

Lift Off

• ****-

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Interesting. I don't consider myself a pro in astrophotography, but I was just last step before ordering this scope from Amazon before I saw Barry's post. Guess what I did next? Just coolheartedly closed the browser window. I was able to get comparable results with very simple and extremely cheap Orion model: Orion short tube refractor SK 80/350 mounted on Takahashi Teegul skyPatrol without (!) installed counterweight shaft: M42 Horsehead Nebula This means "more expensive" is not necessarily "better".

#12 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Valdemar both those images show good examples of CA and egg shaped stars.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics