Photo

Could a HEQ 5/ Sirius mount handle...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 oxygen

oxygen

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

.... an 8"SCT and ED80 piggybacked for imaging?

How about a C9.25 just to do some planetary images?

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:18 AM

I found the C9.25 did not work well on my Sirius mount when I was using a 2" visual back, 2" diagonal, and big eyepieces. This is because to balance it I had to push it all the way forward in the saddle and that created some unique vibrations that could not be stopped with vibration pads, more of a bouncing than a vibration actually. I even switched to an ADM D-series saddle and put a losmandy dovetail on the C9.25 but that only made it worse. This was the main reason I bought my CGEM.

The C8 works very well on the Sirius mount, but I would never try to piggyback my ED80 because I am sure the same problems would occur.

By the way, the C9.25 actually worked ok on the Sirius mount when I only used the v-series saddle and dovetail along with 1.25" accessories and small eyepieces.

Right now, I am considering piggybacking my ED80 on my C9.25, but only on the CGEM mount not the Sirius. I want to do it just for visual use though, so I can get wide field and high power views at the same time.

#3 oxygen

oxygen

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Lane

Would only be using 1.25" accessories with a C9.25 so shouldn't be much problem there.

Does anyone else have experience trying a C8 with ED piggybacked? Figure the weight with everything on would be about 12kgs.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics