CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CG-5ASGT CGEM Pier mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 DCS357

DCS357

Explorer 1

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:56 PM

I am having a plate machined for my CG5 to be mounted on a pier in my back yard. Was wondering if a CGEM would fit on the same plate or is there some difference in the way a CGEM attaches to the tripod than a CG5 would? Kind of looking to get a CGEM and would be happy if it would mount the same way as my CG5.

thanks
don c

#2 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:46 AM

Since the base of the CGEM is quite a bit larger than the CG-5. This means that the azimuth adjustment bolt will be further out from the center hole than it is with the CG-5.

You *could* design a larger plate with two holes for the AZ bolt to deal with this... :wron:

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

Don, If you're poking around for info keep an eye out for specs on the Atlas/EQ-6, the base of the CGEM is the same as the Atlas.

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

Nope.

I have an Atlas and a CG5-GT, and an adapter that allows me to mount the Atlas into the top of the Orion SVP pier extension. The Atlas base and CGEM base are "pin compatible."

I had hoped that the adapter would allow me to mount the Atlas on mt Antares Pier (which is currently configured for a CG5-GT), but alas no. The three bolt tappings that hold the adapter in the Pier do not match up with the holes drilled into the Pier for the CG5-GT adapter. The Atlas adapter mounts "deeper" down the throat of the Pier. I plan on drilling an extra set of holes equidistant between and below the existing holes to make the Pier "dual use".

Regards,

Jim

#5 DCS357

DCS357

Explorer 1

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess I will wait till I get the CGEM :-) and have a second plate machined.

agin
thanks

#6 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

Don, If you're poking around for info keep an eye out for specs on the Atlas/EQ-6, the base of the CGEM is the same as the Atlas.

Would the Atlas pier extension Orion sells be compatible with the CGEM and its tripod?

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

Would the Atlas pier extension Orion sells be compatible with the CGEM and its tripod?

From what I've heard from CGEM owners ... yes it is.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics