EQ6/pro in an observatory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Ritchie

Ben Ritchie

Lost in Space

• Loc: Bosham, UK

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:22 AM

Hi folks. I have my EQ6/pro setup in an observatory, but i'm trying to understand a couple of aspects of the behaviour - note that i'm avoiding EQMOD so far, as i'm mostly visual and would like to avoid the need for a computer if possible. Handset is at 3.25

I have a custom park position defined (counterweights down, telescope pointing east) to allow the roof to close. But when I power up again after a park the handset asks me if I want to start alignment - what's the correct response here? I'm hoping to have "roll the roof off and go" simplicity, I don't want to three-star align again. So can I say "no" to alignment, start tracking manually (if I say "no", tracking is disabled)? Or "yes" and 1-star align rather than 3-star? Or do I need to do the full 3-star alignment every time, which would be annoying. Every other mount i've owned has had the ability to wake up and retain all the alignment data, so you just hit GOTO. But the EQ6 needs to get past that "align Y/N" option.

Also, any idea what happens to PAE data? I guess that's connected with the question of whether or not it retains alignment between park/restart cycles.

Final question is what happens when alignment fails (either on resume or during a normal fresh startup) - the mount starts tracking regardless (sidereal rate seems to turn on regardless of whether or not alignment was actually successful) but goto seems messed up. Is it a case of powering off, losing everything and starting from scratch in the counterweight-down, OTA north?

#2 WarrenS

WarrenS

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County New York

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

My Atlas(EQ6) stays outside on a pedestal under a Telegizmo 365 cover. The last time I did an alignment was back in April after the winter's frost heave. Every time I bring my scope out and power up, I answer no to "start alignment". Only if I bump the scope or mount hard would I need to redo the alignment. It seems to remember everything except date and time.

#3 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

The hand controller remembers the previous alignment and PAE data if it Park was used prior to shut down. If you answer Yes to the Start From Park, you should be good to go ahead and manually start tracking with the stored alignment data.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics