#1 Saptarshi

Saptarshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pune, India (Currently Boston)

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

Hi

Link

I am surprised to see no mention of this mount anywhere, considering how much press "Cube" has got, this is also in the same price range as cube (little cheaper actually). Anyone has any experience with this multifunction mount?

Thanks
Shailesh

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

Hi

Link

I am surprised to see no mention of this mount anywhere, considering how much press "Cube" has got,

Prob'ly cause it ain't got no go-to.

#3 Saptarshi

Saptarshi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:29 AM

You are right, I don't know how I missed that :)
Still anyone who has tried it, what were your impressions?

Thanks
Shailesh

#4 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

Orion is now selling a version of this that does have Goto.
I had Orion's version of the non-Goto one, and it works well for light, short OTA's, such as the 66mm f/6 apo I had on it. Balance is fairly critical, and the tripod is wimpy. Put it on a stouter tripod, keep to a small and light and short scope, and it's pretty good.

#5 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

I thought it was interesting that it's an alt-az that provides motorized tracking (or claims to, anyway) without the need of an actual star alignment.

Just looking at it, though, it's unlikely to be stable enough for anything other than really small scopes, and perhaps the tracking feature doesn't scale up very well.

Mike

#6 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:41 AM

Actually, it tracks pretty well when it is set for your latitude. But I always just pushed the buttons to keep it on target, sort of like motorized push-to! :lol:

#7 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

Here's a pretty nice little go-to mount. Unfortunately, Celestron doesn't sell it without a scope. I bought the 60mm refractor version for ~$270 and tossed the refractor, diagonal, and two eyepieces that came with it. I kept the red dot finder.

Attached Files

#8 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

I've seen those sold on the used market, as well as the two SE mounts, which is how I got the two I used to own.
Advertise for one, or hunt through the ads.

#9 Saptarshi

Saptarshi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

Thanks Doug,looks like this is something worth considering

Thanks Luigi, Celestron mount/scope combo seems another good option, do you know if it would be stable enough for WO 66 mm scope? since scope it comes with is 60 mm, and I am wondering how stable it will be. Another question I have is - what would I need to mount my scope on this?

Thanks
Shailesh

#10 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

>>>would be stable enough for WO 66 mm scope? since scope it comes with is 60 mm... what would I need to mount my scope on this<<<

This mount comes with up to a 105mm refractor or 5" Newt. My photo shows the mount with my 60mm Lunt solar scope, which is what I got the mount for. The mount is cast aluminum and works very well in this application, but the tripod is the weak link and must be kept short for good stability. The SLT60mm has a saddle that takes a standard Vixen style dovetail. I don't know if all SLT versions have the same saddle setup.

#11 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

• Loc: Northeast, PA U.S.A

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

Would anyone know how would one mate an Orion SVP tripod to one of the above mentioned mounts ? It seems they all fail from wimpy tripods, which I can swap with mine, but I'm not sure if additional adapters/plates would be needed. I'd be using a 70mm SV ED, 2" diag and red dot for quick peeks.

#12 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• -----

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

Ugh, that thing looks like a wireless router :) Probably fine in operation though.

-drl

#13 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:15 PM

The SLT mount from Celestron is really a great grab&go. I use one for my TMB 80SS, and it's a one handed pickup and out the door setup. If the legs were just the slightest bit sturdier, and attached to the mount with metal castings instead of plastic, it would be perfect. I really like the way the design keeps the weight of the scope over the center of the tripod. If they made a beefier version on the 2" steel legs that could handle about 30 lbs., I bet they'd sell like hotcakes.

Joe

#14 Saptarshi

Saptarshi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:13 PM

Thanks Luigi and Joe, you guys convinced me to order it (SLT60) :)
I found great price on Amazon $197.00 and could not pass it up. I should receive it in a week.

Luigi, you mentioned that "The SLT60mm has a saddle that takes a standard Vixen style dovetail" does that mean dovetail on my WO66 will just fit that and I wont need any attachment/adapter/plate?

Thanks
Shailesh

#15 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

Shailesh,
It does take a Vixen dovetail, and it may fit your 66mm without modification, but there is a fairing that fits the contour of the scope. There is a possibility that you may have to take a dremel to the fairing to make it fit. I haven't taken a good look at mine, but you may also be able to just remove the fairing if it's necessary.

Joe

#16 Saptarshi

Saptarshi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

Thanks Joe, I will receive it in couple of days and report back how it goes.

Shailesh

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics