Photo

my first moonsketches

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

Respect to all the moonsketchers on this forum. This are my first moonsketches and it is fare more difficult than sketching DSO! Even in my 7x50 bino there was to much detail than I could sketch.
I used white crayon on black paper. The first sketch 3cm big, the second 5 cm. On which scale do you sketch (a almost full) moon?
I never tried to sketch the moon by bigger amplification. Is it more easy to sketch a single feature (crater,...) than the whole moon?
Thanks for your kind advise.

Attached Files

#2 vennard

vennard

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

Jef
What you have done is the epidime of what a sketch is all about. Concentrating on a specific subject or a smaller area will allow you to do a more informative job, not necessarily a better one. The size of the final drawing is up to your interperation. If you truthfully put down what you saw in the 7x50's then you should be proud of your sketch, I think it is a wonderfull one.
Mike

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

I agree. This is a really great first sketch. You have courage to try a whole moon the first time because it can be a daunting task to try this much territory. Just keep sketching. You mentioned the size of your moon sketches; it is pretty small. You might try a smaller region next time but also start with larger paper. You will find it very enjoyable, and your skills will show development quickly.

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:01 PM

I agree with Mike and Roland, Jef, these are very good binocular sketches and represent a lot of detail recorded across a wide area of the Moon. You can feel very good that you have included so much, especially on your first attempts. Roland's advice is excellent, working larger will help you capture smaller details in more highly magnified views of single craters. You've done a great job with these two! :waytogo:

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:39 PM

Jef,

I think your sketches of the moon look very nice. I can pick out the maria, the highlands, Tycho and its rays Copernicus and other nice features.
Good advice above. :cool:

Frank :)

#6 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

Good job Jef. Keep them coming. :jump:

#7 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

i agree with the others, pick a rather small and easier target for your first moonsketch. i tried sketching a large area too for my first moonsketch (third sketch on the right), yours is waaaaay better than mine :grin:

#8 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

Everybody, thanks for the advise and the kind words.

#9 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:15 PM

I like your first moon sketches and the entire object at that! I have no desire to try that for awhile. So kudos to you. If you can get Astronomy the Magazine they have 12 objects to view on the moon and some look to be good sketching targets.

#10 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

On which scale do you sketch (a almost full) moon?
Is it more easy to sketch a single feature (crater,...) than the whole moon?
Thanks for your kind advise.

Jef

Welcome to the world of astronomy sketch art! You have made some great first sketches and I commend you :bow: :bow: :bow:

The questions about how to proceed with format size and amount of image to work with on the moon were answered well by all the others.

I could not add much more other than my own personal feelings about sketching. I too started in smaller formats with the moon a couple years ago. The general artistic process will temp you to work larger one day (or night.)

I then began to remember my college art teacher telling us to work as large as possible. This will always intimidate the new artist as you decide to eventually make a great work of art, you will eventually owe it to yourself to experience working on the larger pastel papers available from many art supply stores. These are the 19" X 25" and up to 22" X 30" (inches) or 64.5 X 50 cm in black cotton fiber papers such as most of my lunar sketches are produced on now. (I render the full moon in a 15 ~ 16 inch or 35 cm diameter.) You could just as easily spend much time on a detailed close-up of a single crater as compared to rendering the entire moon in detail. It becomes a personal choice and process. You could call it artistic license and freedom of the artist.

Also see the tutorial sites here and the Astronomy Sketch Book authored by several in the Cloudy Nights site.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your future sketch work,

Mark
www.markseibold.com

My CN Gallery

#11 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:22 AM

Jef,

Excellent first sketches of the Moon. I agree with the comments of the other members above. The important thing is the correct placement of the lunar features (e.g. maria, craters, etc.). As time goes by you will adjust the shading of the maria and add more detail. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics