31 replies to this topic

#1 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mayhill, NM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive computerized GEM. Right now you can get some pretty good deals on the Sky-Watcher EQ5 PRO. I've considered the CG-5A but all of the discussions on how noisy it is has me worried. The EQ5 Pro seems like a possible alternative but I've heard that it's actually manufactured in the same plant with the CG-5A and they are very similar mounts. Is it as noisy? Aside from noise issues how does the EQ5 Pro compare to the CG-5A?

Thanks, Ken

#2 pollux

pollux

artiste

• Loc: Burnaby Canada

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

the eq5 synscan is actually pretty decently quiet when tracking

slewing is a bit loud but way quieter than cg5 and lxds

#3 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

I'm guessing this mount isn't a "best seller"... Would you agree?

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

Other than the Vixen Sphinx I don't know of any mount as quiet as the Sirius (HEQ5). The CG-5 is very loud, even worse than the CGEM.

#5 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

I think that is because it doesn't cost a whole lot more to go up to the ATLAS or CGEM and those can handle weight much better than the Sirius. I got my CGEM just because the Sirius was too shakey if I tried to put anything over an 8" SCT on board. But the nice thing about the Sirius and the reason I still keep it is that it doesn't weigh very much, I can lift the sirius with my ED80 or my C8 already mounted and carry it all outside in one trip. Not the case with the CGEM, which is 4 trips, tripod, mount, counterweights, and scope.

#6 DavidW

DavidW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

No, there are a ton of these mounts out there - just not too many in the USA where the Atlas and Sirius are more readily available, consensus says they are the same mounts rebranded. Regarding the noise, the EQ5 Pro and EQ6 Pro sound way better IMO (and quieter) than the CGEM.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

Forgive me for asking, but are we talking about the EQ-5 Pro here as the OP originally asked about or the HEQ-5 Pro??? I have to admit some confusion as we seem to be discussing two different mounts as one. Unless I'm mistaken, the EQ-5 Pro is the goto equivalent to the CG-5 ASGT and the HEQ-5 Pro is the Sirius.

#8 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:56 PM

I was confused about this too so I did some research:

The EQ5 is an older mount that is actually a Vixen Great Polaris mount.

The EQ5 PRO and the CG5 are the same mount.

The HEQ5 PRO and the Sirius are the same mount.

But I believe the OP is really discussing the HEQ5 PRO if not then there isn't even a reason for the post.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

Post deleted by Steve Cox as now redundant. :)

#10 DavidW

DavidW

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

Ok, I just looked at their website too, I think all of the ones I have have actually seen have been HEQ5, so I'm not sure what their EQ5 sounds like but the HEQ5 is nice. Sorry for jumping.

#11 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:15 PM

Now that re-read the OP's post I am certain he really is discussing the EQ5 PRO and not the HEQ5 PRO. So if he doesn't like the noise level of the CG5 then he won't like the EQ5 Pro either. Since everything I found says these are the same mount just given different names for different markets.

#12 markan

markan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive computerized GEM. Right now you can get some pretty good deals on the Sky-Watcher EQ5 PRO. I've considered the CG-5A but all of the discussions on how noisy it is has me worried. The EQ5 Pro seems like a possible alternative but I've heard that it's actually manufactured in the same plant with the CG-5A and they are very similar mounts. Is it as noisy? Aside from noise issues how does the EQ5 Pro compare to the CG-5A?

Thanks, Ken

I don't find mine to be particularly noisy. I use it out in a very quiet area beside a corn field. You definitely hear it whine as it slews, but it's not overly loud.

#13 HUsher

HUsher

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Wales, UK

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:02 AM

Both are widely available and used in the UK. When I was researching recently the views were that the EQ5 was significantly quieter than the CG5. The CG5 has better software though.

Helen

#14 matman-1

matman-1

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Sweden

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

There are som heq 5 mounts movies on youtube, althou hard to put the sound in perspective you can get an idea of how it sounds. sorry for sticking to heq 5... hope it helps: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RoNUqGNPr6A

#15 DavidW

DavidW

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for posting that link as I don't go to Youtube often enough, there is some good stuff there. The mount in the link you posted sounds like it could use a tune-up as it shouldn't sound so garbled, at the beginning and end of slew maybe but it should be smooth while slewing. There are a few links on youtube and some really good threads here regarding doing tuneups for these mounts.

I found this EQ6 Youtube link showing what the mount sounds like optimized (turn up the volume). The HEQ5 should sound the same I think.

#16 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• Loc: S. Philadelphia, PA

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:39 AM

They're all pretty quiet when they track, right?

If you spend more time observing than slewing, then what's the big deal? Especially if you plan your observing sessions to move across the sky instead of back and forth... - j

#17 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

Just to clarify (I'm the OP) - I was indeed talking about the EQ5 not the HEQ5. Basically I was looking for something inexpensive. I live in a high-rise condo in downtown San Diego. Since I don't have a backyard (let alone a dark sky) most of my observing gets done on camping trips. Many campgrounds have "quiet time" at 10:00 pm so I can't make much noise. From what I hear, the CG5 is pretty noisy. I was hoping the EQ5 would be quieter... I guess I have other options like the CGEM but it sounds like it might be noisy, too, and another thread in this forum has detailed numerous and significant problems getting support from Celestron so I'm not too sure about it. After that there seems to be a pretty big price jump to other quieter alternatives... I guess when you're trying to go cheap you don't get everything! I do appreciate the help from everyone!!

Ken

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:20 AM

Since you live in San Diego, my recommendation would be swing by the OPT store up in Oceanside and try some of the mounts out on the showroom floor. You'll also have the benefit of some knowledgeable and helpful people there too.

Beyond that, since you mention considering the CGEM and it's price range, then I'd take the Orion Sirius first as it's cheaper, lighter weight, well established with proven reliability, and about the quietest affordable goto.

#19 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

Hello,

Thanks, Ken

The Synta Orion/Skywatcher/etc. branded mounts use steppers, which tend to be quieter when slewing than the servos in the Celestron-badged Synta mounts.

#20 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

Now that re-read the OP's post I am certain he really is discussing the EQ5 PRO and not the HEQ5 PRO. So if he doesn't like the noise level of the CG5 then he won't like the EQ5 Pro either. Since everything I found says these are the same mount just given different names for different markets.

The EQ5 Pro actually carries the Synscan motors and controller (like the Atlas and Sirius and go-to Sky View Pro mounts from Orion). This means that this mount is going to be much much quieter than a CG-5 ASGT.

#21 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

Hey Uncle Rod and Charlie - That's good news about the motors in the Orion/Skywatcher mounts. The EQ5 Pro is an excellent price right now and if they're quiet I'm all set!!

Thanks for the help!

Ken

#22 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Part of it is the motors, part of it is how they are mounted. My SVP with these motors was fairly quiet in RA but noisy in Dec, with the Dec motor being mounted directly to the saddle, allowing vibration to radiate into the OTA with not a lot of damping before it gets there. The non-H EQ5 will also have this issue.

Another thing, the CG-5 trick of slewing manually at a slower speed to get quieter operation doesn't really work for these stepper motors, they are very close to the same loudness at any of the slewing speeds from 6-10 I found. And of course the loudness lasts longer at speeds less than 10.

My opinion is the OP should not consider anything other than HEQ*/Atlas/Sirius if they are concerned about noise.

Mike

#23 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:16 AM

Mike - thanks for the input. Since I am definitely concerned about noise I guess I should rethink my options. I guess it's true you get what you pay for. Darn it. :(

Anyway, I appreciate all the help!

Ken

#24 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

Ken, the best thing to do is try to find one that you can see (and hear) in person. The problem with threads like this one is that they can induce "analysis paralysis". I think you might be approaching this point.

I have heard the Atlas and Sirius mounts with SynScan (the same motor set as the EQ5Pro). They are several orders of magnitude quieter on their noisiest day than the quietest CG5 ASGT you've ever heard.

IMO (and you can take it for what it's worth), it's very hard indeed for me to envision any type of resonance set up on the DEC axis of a SynScan equipped EQ5 mount that would bring its noise level up to anything even approaching the typical ASGT "coffee grinder" noises. I would literally have to see (hear) it to believe it. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, just very hard to envision.

That said, I certainly second the notion that the Sirius (HEQ5) would be a noticeably better choice on many levels if you can afford it.

Bottom line - at the price point of the EQ5P I don't see much chance of finding anything quieter short of something like the Intelliscope version of the SVP, which I don't think is even available any longer.

#25 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

I didn't say my SVP was as loud as a CG-5, all I'm saying as the Dec motor noise was likely louder than it would be on one of the newer-design mounts where the Dec motor is tucked deeper within. Personally, it exceeded my tolerance, whereas the RA motor noise I could live with. I tried rubber-mounting it which helped somewhat but maintaining proper gear mesh was a problem, and the improvement wasn't significant enough to warrant solving it.

These motors are very quiet if your run them in the palm of your hand. When I got my SVP GoTo kit I thought I was going to be delighted when first trying them out that way to make sure everything was working. Didn't turn out to be the case once they were bolted on.

What makes this problem potentially even worse is if you are like me and don't plan your viewing to minimize meridian flips. There is a lot of Dec motor noise required for those.

I would agree that going to listen to the things would be beneficial, but one must take into consideration the ambient noise level when doing so. Mounts get a lot louder in the middle of a quiet lonely night.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics