AT Voyager striction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shams42

shams42

Apollo

• Loc: Kingsport, TN

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

My AT mount has a good bit of striction in both axes. It makes it kind of hard to smoothly pan across a wide region of the sky. Is there a way to make the mount smoother and more dob-like in its feel?

For instance, is the mount full of "synta glue" instead of proper lubricant? If so, can it be replaced? Are there other tweaks that could be made?

I read somewhere that the jerkiness may result from the design of the clutches for the slow-motion controls. I'm hoping this isn't true.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hi Matthew,
I've had my Voyager now for almost a year and the first thing I did was take it apart and regrease it. At first I used a white lithium (grease, not aerosol) which works very well, but with my 102ED is a bit too free. What I finally settled on was ordering some of the Pete's Red Synthetic grease from Scopestuff. One packet will be enough for both axes. I now find it absolutely wonderful. If you decide to go this route, just take your time with the adjustments, especially the worm gear tension. Aside from that, the only other mods I've made are loctite-ing all the screws on the tripod and adding a Vixen eyepiece tray which matches and secures the spreaders very well. Best of luck.

#3 shams42

shams42

Apollo

• Loc: Kingsport, TN

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

Okay, I got the red grease yesterday. I tried disassembling the altitude assembly yesterday. I removed all the visible fasteners and still couldn't get the assembly to come apart. Is there a trick or a hidden fastener in there somewhere?

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

I tried opening the altitude assembly too and same issue. I don't think you can actually open the part that you need to grease. Looks to me like it is welded shut. I just tried to force grease into the seam and it seems to have worked. Mine is a little easier to move now, but I don't think there is anyway to make it as smooth as the other axis. They should have used bearings and a better friction control when they built this mount. But I think with a longer, heavier telescope than my ED80 it would probably be smoother.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics