Giro 3 and general alt/az questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

• Loc: Everett, WA

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:58 PM

I've owned a voyager before and liked it but want a big beefier alt/az so I'm buying a Giro 3.

My question concerns the sizes. The sell it with either a 30mm diameter hub or a 60mm diameter hub. Also, the center attaching thread is either 3/8"x16 or 10mmx1.5.

I have an Atlas...would that tripod work with any of those dimensions?

My main question is for after market tripods, which hub size would be best for the widest variety of choices? Same thing with the center attaching bolt?

I've never bought an alt/az like this so I'm curious about these different sizes and dont know jack.

I've send off an email to Teton with some questions but was just curious if anyone can fill me in on any of this. :bow:

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:31 AM

I use the 60mm hub with 10mm threads for my CG-5 tripod. I think the 30mm hub versions are for the Berlebach tripods.

I don't know if the 60mm with 10mm thread version will be a good fit with the Atlas tripod base which is wider than the CG-5, though the threads should match up.

I do recommend using a counterweight bar on the Giro III for your 111mm refractor.

Mark(Teton) will probably give a definite answer as to Atlas tripod compatibility. Good luck!

#3 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

I measured the main hole in the tripod last night and it was just under 1.25", so it looks like 30mm would be the hub size. The North Pin is outside the area that the Giro would sit so the notch would not come into play...at least the way it looks in the pic.

I'll call and find out for sure.

Thanks for the help.

#4 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

Now I gotta decide the color. He only has the silver in stock and would need to order the red....I know it shouldn't matter but the red kind of gets me going...hmmmm.

#5 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

Yep, go for the red...not that it really matters. ;)

Attached Files

#6 John Huntley

John Huntley

Viking 1

• Loc: South West England

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

Would one of the Giro 3 options make it compatible with the TV Gibraltar tripod ?

Thanks and I hope therocksal doesn't mind me posting this suplementary (though related) question in this thread.

John
SW England

#7 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:25 AM

Post away. I took pics of my Atlas tripod so they can look at the dimensions and see if the 30 would work. He has to order reds as they don't have any at the moment...so I might get a silver...hmmmmm.

#8 Rob Willett

Rob Willett

Vendor (Degree Circles)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: London, UK.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

I can't speak for the Giro III as I only have the Giro II (which makes my advice worth exactly what you've paid for it).

However I made a simple adaptor plate out of 18mm plywood and a bolt for the Giro Ii cutout so it fitted on my EQ6 tripod. Took all of 30 mins and works well. Dense plywood has very little bend, none when clamped between the tripod base and the Giro II and has worked very well ever since.

#9 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

It's suggestions like Mr. Willets that I need to start thinking about....DIY is not my strong suit but I need to think outside the box...this hobby is great for DIY'ing.

#10 Rob Willett

Rob Willett

Vendor (Degree Circles)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: London, UK.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:41 AM

I love plywood, it's a cheap composite, it's strong, it's forgiving, you can work it with hand tools, you can even work it by hand and get what you want.

Plywood is great for things like this. A sheet of plywood is very cheap, it can be used for so many 'little' things like these type of adaptors. When you've finished, run a little sandpaper over it and then spray it with a matt black paint and it looks great. Making aluminium or steel look 'professional' is hard work, plywood is easy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics