• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glava2005

glava2005

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Zagreb, Croatia

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

while trying to get perfect polar alignment on my new TS Astro 5 mount (looks almost the same as vixen lxd75 just no motors) i noticed that when all the legs are retracted fully the mount is not level and that one of the legs seems to be at a slightley different angle the the other two.. so i have to extend two of the legs about 5cm to get the mount to perfect lvl.. i measured the lenght of the legs and they are the same and i also measured the lenght of the accessory tray plastic holders which keep the legs in place and spread out eavenly they are also identical..

so my question is this.. is that normal for one of the legs to be different on this kind of mount or do i have to dissassemble the whole tripod and assemble it properly from the start???

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

while trying to get perfect polar alignment on my new TS Astro 5 mount (looks almost the same as vixen lxd75 just no motors) i noticed that when all the legs are retracted fully the mount is not level and that one of the legs seems to be at a slightley different angle the the other two.. so i have to extend two of the legs about 5cm to get the mount to perfect lvl.. i measured the lenght of the legs and they are the same and i also measured the lenght of the accessory tray plastic holders which keep the legs in place and spread out eavenly they are also identical..

so my question is this.. is that normal for one of the legs to be different on this kind of mount or do i have to dissassemble the whole tripod and assemble it properly from the start???

If you're just concerned about polar alignment, level makes NO DIFFERENCE. Unless you are on a completely flat surface, some legs are going to have to be at different lengths anyway.

Finally, if you don't have motors, I assume you are using the mount for visual. Why are you after "perfect" polar alignment?

#3 glava2005

glava2005

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Zagreb, Croatia

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

ye using it just for visual atm but somebody gave me advice to learn proper polar alignment from the start so i wouldn`t have problems later.

and i fixed the problem with legs.. the tray which holds the legs in place was missaligned so it was holding one leg closer then the others.. i took it apart and put it back in the right place and now it`s fine.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics