• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chuckscap

chuckscap

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:24 AM

Hi what's your opinion of a G11 with Gemini as a mount for my Mewlon 250. I've looked at the AP900s and used TAk NJPs and unfortunately they are not in my budget. I'm primarily a visual user, and I definitely want GOTO.

Thanks,

Chuck

#2 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

Hi what's your opinion of a G11 with Gemini as a mount for my Mewlon 250. I've looked at the AP900s and used TAk NJPs and unfortunately they are not in my budget. I'm primarily a visual user, and I definitely want GOTO.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I think G11 is one of economical solutions. I use VMC260L 3000mm f/11.5, and WO FLT 152mm f/8 on G11/HD tripod for visual. It is stable enough for me. I think G11 handles Mewlon 250 for visual well.

My friend, Daniel Mousey uses his Mewlon 250 on EM-200 for visual. I have looked through it. I think it is stable to me.

I read your thread (NJP and AP900) with interest. I am looking into mount upgrade next year. I am currently in research mode, looking somewhat portable (not as heavy as Losmandy Titan) but good for imaging with 3000mm-ish focal length scope.

Candidates are so far EM-400, AP900, GM2000. AP900 looks best among those.

By the way, have you seen image taken by CNer Darkforce? Here is an example of his:

http://www.darkforce...RGB-FERTIG7.jpg
It is taken with VMC260L and G11.
and more
http://www.darkforce...de/GALERIE.html

This tells me G11 is a very good mount and he is very skilled imager.

PS: He upgraded his G11 to GM2000.

Tammy

#3 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

Chuck,

That sounds like a nice rig to have. The G11 has plenty of muscle for the Mewlon.

There is no reason to sacrifice stabilty and accuracy just because you are a visual observer. I am a visual observer and I use an A-P mount. I like for my target to sit there nice and stable, while I study and sketch.

My .02,

Ron

#4 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

Had to look and see how much that puppy weighs......under 30 lbs.....G11 is very capable of giving excellent performance for visual with that scope. It should also work just fine for imaging as long as you dont go overboard on a guide scope.

#5 chuckscap

chuckscap

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

Thanks all, I would love to own an AP900 but the Mewlon 250 already ate a lot of the budget (even at a good price used). From everything I've read the G11 is a quality mount, and the Mewlon is well below it's max capacity. By the way Tammy, those images are stunning so the tracking is probably better than needed for visual observing. How does everyone feel about the Gemini goto system?

Thanks,

Chuck

#6 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

Well there are one or two folks floating around here that will disagree strongly but I find it the easiest to use goto of any of them I have ever used.

There is a learning curve as it is quite different from all the rest in structure of menus etc. However once you grasp it and how simple it really is to use you will find you dont even need to look at it to use it.

#7 chuckscap

chuckscap

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:35 AM

How is the point accuracy assuming you get a decent polar alignment? How many stars do you typically need to align it?

Regards,

Chuck

#8 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

How is the point accuracy assuming you get a decent polar alignment? How many stars do you typically need to align it?

Regards,

Chuck

ONE! Just like the A-P mount. :cool: You can always add more and you can further refine the pointing model by Syncing to the current object. For visual use, one is fine.

I was also one of the folks who liked my Gemini system. It is somewhat akin to unix compared to a GUI. You will be pushing the buttons a few more times, but the end result is the scope will be pointing right at the object you wanted to find.

Ron

#9 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I might be an exception using a G11 for my Mewlon 250S + a FS-78. I have invested quite some time in order to get it going but now it goes :grin:

Here you can see it on my Observatory

If you get a G11 for your Mewlon then be preapred to be patient until you get it going. If is for visual only then I would say no problem. Please use the G11 tripod even if some people say it is difficult to setup or whatever else ...

#10 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

Excellent.....you only need 1 but I normally use at least 3.....

Regards,

Chuck

#11 chuckscap

chuckscap

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

Thanks much!

Chuck

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics