Photo

Help on past sky conditions to judge sketches

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

Fellow sketchers, Linda and I are judging the 100 sketches from Ugandan children and a few teachers from this year's contest we sponsored. I have a quick need to go back to specific dates to check sky positions of moon, some stars, etc. Is there a program online that I can do that?? I need something relatively simple and quick for general sky positions of things....not great detail...but for a date and general location I enter. Places I have tried so far are for current day.

Thanks. Could use the answer kind of quick if anyone is out there.

#2 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

Roland,

It sounds like you are looking for a planetarium program. I believe Sky and Telescope Online has a simple program but I'm not sure if it is useful for past events. However, I located a couple freeware programs for you. Home Planet by John Walker and Stellarium, are both excellent freeware planetarium programs.

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Rich, I will try them. S&T was nice for the day, but I could not get a look at the sky when I try to go back.

If you are on line or anyone....on March 23 09....was venus near the moon and on which side?

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

Roland, I just used Stellarium to check your question about Venus and the Moon. Early on that morning about sunrise the Moon had finished rising and Venus looked to be about 15 degrees away just to the east on the eastern horizon. Hope this helps.

#5 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

thanks, Rich. it does. couple of kids and teachers placed it close to the moon. will get stellarium next chance I get...just can't get to it right now. gosh...it's like being in school again...100 sketches to eval and comment on!! ...all from a little teenee village in the backwoods of Uganda.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics