Ioptron Mini tower questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

• Loc: Everett, WA

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

I was going to get a Unistar Deluxe and then a few months later upgrade it with encoders and a sky commander...then I thought, wait, that's about $1,100 with shipping...I can get a mini tower with goto and tracking for $850 or so with shipping.

Quick Q about the mini tower.

1. Can I just plop it down, place my OTA on it, and then use arrow keys to move the scope around electronically without having to set it up and align it...just to look at the moon or something very quickly? For those times when I just want to use it like a super quick grab and go?

Thanks,

James.

#2 Fogboundturtle

Fogboundturtle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Burnaby, BC

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:35 PM

Yes you can

#3 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

There were a few issues with these early on, have those problems been corrected by the manufacturer or do they still exist?

#4 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

99% of all issues have been corrected, but I would hold off a week or two until the new Mini Tower Pro comes out. It been beefed up inside and out.

Bob

#5 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:06 PM

That is good to hear Bob, I have been wanting one of these for a semi-grab-and-go for some time now and stayed away from them due to the problems. I like the AT Voyager I have now, but I really need a hand controller to help me find stuff in all this light pollution. I think an ioptron will be easier and faster to set up than the Orion Sirius for a quick trip into the backyard.

#6 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

I have an Atlas EQ-g almost the same mount as the Sirius and a Mini Tower, and I tell you the Mini Tower is a lot quicker and easier to set up and start viewing. I'm waiting for a Maxi Tower, LOL something that will hold 65lb has a wedge built in and can do sub arc Min. tracking ... now that would a mount.

Bob

#7 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

Bob, one more question: What about the alignment process, can I pick stars I want to use in the alignment or is the mount going force its own selections on me?

#8 Hermie

Hermie

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cloudy HKG

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:51 AM

I purchased my MT from Trapezium, and they checked the mount out. The hand controller was replaced, so I guess the factory was still having some issues at that time.

I usually set up by guessing where south is, powering up the mount, and then slewing to a bright star that I know. I then correct the slew and "sync to target". That is it.

After a big slew the alignment may be out a bit, so just sync again as needed. The level on the mount may not be accurate, and that seems to be the largest source of error.

I'm very happy with my MT.

Hermie

#9 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:48 AM

It gives you a list to choose from that it knows you should be able to see......

Bob, one more question: What about the alignment process, can I pick stars I want to use in the alignment or is the mount going force its own selections on me?

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

99% of all issues have been corrected, but I would hold off a week or two until the new Mini Tower Pro comes out. It been beefed up inside and out. Bob

Isn't the MT Pro going to be substantially more expensive ... something like $1300 vs. $800? If so I doubt it's in consideration ... that pricing puts it more inline with the DiscMounts products.

Open question to iOptron :question: - Why do you fix the issues with an existing product by releasing a new more expensive product? You have the opportunity to dominate the sub $500 (Cube) and sub $1000 (MiniTower) market segments. The current products are good but need some attention to remove nagging issues. Instead you seem interested in moving into established up market segments leaving the existing products lacking. Yes a little competition in those existing markets is always a good thing but even better is filling a gaping hole with a quality product.
:rant:

#11 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

James:

You do not absolutely need to do a detailed set up. However, if you expect to track for any length of time you should do so. It only takes a few minutes.

The MT picks a fair amount of stars that should be available for alignment. It's not a huge list, but, I've never been in a situation where I could not find at least two from the list that were visible.

Bob:

The Pro has been delayed by several weeks. It's just a small logistics thing, nothing serious.

Mark:

Yes, the Pro IS $1299.00 USD. The gains are better encoders, larger axles and precision bearings, a self storing CW shaft, a larger payload of 33 pounds and a much larger tripod. Those are what people have been requesting and iOptron responded. The choice between the MT and the Pro all depends upon what equipment you wish to use. Both are equally portable.

From what we have seen in the last few shipments of Mini Towers the problems that were noted in the earlier releases have all been resolved. We still test them before we ship them, just to make certain, but, we have not had any issues as before. Even the bubble levels have been very close to dead on in the past few shipments. Perhaps you could illustrate what you are considering a "nagging issue".

Something to remember when comparing either one to the other A/A mounts is that this is a fully GOTO mount right from the box. All you need to do is add a telescope and get out observing.

CS

Steve

#12 StarStruckCarter

StarStruckCarter

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Manchester, NH

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:28 PM

The price difference betweeen th disc mount and the mini or mini pro is not an issue when you realize that the disc mount does not have any drive capabilities and requires a seperate purchase of the tripod. the pro looks like a much better deal.

jhc

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics