Celestron ASGT question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

I have a couple of question regarding Celestron's ASGT mount. First, does it begin tracking when switched on? Since it's equatorial, I'm hoping it does.

I'm asking because I'm considering purchasing an ASGT that could also be used for my solar scope. Not having to do any type of alignment would be a plus for observing the sun.

Second, does the current firmware allow the hand paddle brightness to be adjusted?

Thanks!

Don:usa:

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

Not until an alignment is initiated. BUT, the new mounts allow for solar alignment.

#3 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

Thanks!

Is there still a 'One Star' alignment routine? If so, I could simply point the mount north and tell it that's Polaris.

#4 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:54 AM

The HC brightness can be adjusted.
The scope can do a quick align.
You can enable the sun and do a solar system align on it.
I've used it with a solar scope, and the "I think that's about North" alignment method, it was fine.

Chris

#5 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

As pointed out above, if you use a compass to set north (allowing for mag variation) and set your latitude into the alt axis of the mount, you can then do a single point solar system alignment on the sun. If you're careful with the compass and latitude, it works quite well.

Also as pointed out above, you don't have to do a star alignment to get it tracking but you do need to initiate an alignment, up to the point you need to aim it at the first star. Just keep pressing the enter button until you get to the point you're supposed to aim at the first star. It keeps tracking after that...except that with the latest HC and MC firmware it tracks for about ~6 hrs after which it runs into its RA limit and has to be reset.

The mount is designed and intended to be used in go-to mode, but there are workarounds for using it without doing a star alignment or using go-to.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

Thanks!

Is there still a 'One Star' alignment routine? If so, I could simply point the mount north and tell it that's Polaris.

Or...just select "Quick Align" and the mount reuses the old alignment data and begins tracking.

#7 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas! I think I'm going to go ahead and pick one up, probably with a C6 tube assembly.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics