• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GPak

GPak

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson,AZ

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:44 PM

Last night I was out with my SW100ED on it's HEQ5 mount. I felt like I had a pretty good polar alignment, so I set my laptop to take 60 30 second shots (w/Autodarks) of m31 w/my 40D and went in the house. Went out an hour or so later and packed up fo the night. This morning I was going through the exposiers, and most of them had small footballs of varing sizes (up and down) instead of stars, yet M31 stayed relatively centered in the frame. Except for about every 8th shot was perfect. I'm assuming this has something to do with PE, but the mount is an older one (black) and is non-goto. The mount was purchased used with no manual. Is the a way to adjust PE on a non-goto mount? Or should I try doing a re-grease?

Any suggestions?
Gary

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hi. I also had this mount before upgrading it with the synscan upgrade kit. What you see i have also seen - some of the 30 seconds subs are ok but most are not. If your polar alignment is good most probable problem is really the periodic error. It can't be corrected with software if this is the oldest heq5 type. If it is syntrek then you can use eqmod with the eqdir adapter. Regreasing it may help a little bit but do not expect to eliminate the problem. Best way is the synscan upgrade kit and autoguiding but this is not cheap.

#3 GPak

GPak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

Hi Neptun2. I found some info on the synscan kit on SW website, but can't find a price. Do you have any idea how much it costs US$ ?

#4 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

It is not cheap. In europe the price is around 330 britain pounds which is around 550$ but i don't know if this kit is sold in USA. Maybe there is also third party goto upgrade kits available in usa for this mount. About the skywatcher upgrade kit - it transforms pure heq5 into heq5 pro synscan replacing the motors, motor control board, hand controller, gears and adding polar scope illumnation. You should also check if your mount is the newer syntrek type which is in fact heq5 with crippled hand controller. If so you can buy only the hand controller to transform syntrek into synscan and also you can buy just the eqdir module to control the mount using eqmod driver and laptop. You can easily see if your mount is syntrek by looking if it has autoguiding port. If such port is present near the hand controller port this is syntrek. If not this is pure heq5 and needs the upgrade kit to make it goto.

#5 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:23 PM

You can buy a brand new EQ5 Pro from Astronomics right now for $550 that includes Synscan.

#6 GPak

GPak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

I've been thinking alot about this issue of the PE in my non goto mount and I think I recall years ago someone mentioning that they had their set up slightly off balance so that the motors would either push or pull constantly during imaging. Has anyone ever heard of this, or did it come to me in a dream? :sleepy:

#7 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

Yes, most photographers and imagers use a "heavy east" configuration so that the tracking is more precise.

#8 GPak

GPak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

Hi Jim,
Could you (or anyone else) explain to me "heavy east"?

#9 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:19 PM

Generally speaking it means an imbalance toward the east side of a GEM so as to keep the RA gears meshed and "pulling" the mount along. We are mostly looking at less than a pound of imbalance - just enough to keep the gears engaged.

#10 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

You can buy a brand new EQ5 Pro from Astronomics right now for $550 that includes Synscan.

EQ5 and HEQ5 are not the same mount, not even in the same class. This is why we bought the HEQ5, absolutely no comparison to the EQ5.

#11 GPak

GPak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

Generally speaking it means an imbalance toward the east side of a GEM so as to keep the RA gears meshed and "pulling" the mount along. We are mostly looking at less than a pound of imbalance - just enough to keep the gears engaged.

So, If I'm imaging to the east, I move the weights down slightly, and up if shooting to the west...correct?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics