• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Hubert

Hubert

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:32 AM

I recently bought a new CG-5 goto mount.
What a noise it makes when slewing to an object :shocked:

Is there a solution for this anoying problem?

regards, Hubert

#2 adamsp123

adamsp123

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: welshpool mid wales UK

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:05 AM

Not a lot really, when I owned one I wrapped towels around the motor housings to absorb the worst of the noise. Thankfully whilst tracking it is very quiet.

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:28 AM

Try to put a positive spin on it. Think of it as the sound of power, precision, and speed...kinda like loud pipes on a Harley.

#4 letimotif

letimotif

No Complaints

• Loc: Actually, right here.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:55 AM

Lest you ask further, Hubert, no, one cannot adjust the slew speed during go tos, either. Some folks have tried foam inside the motor housing, but I honestly think Adam's suggestion of wrapping some sound absorbing material around the motor housing.

Yep, it's loud, although some folks don't think it's too loud.

#5 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Set up next to an LX200 and you'll start thinking how quiet your CG5 sounds.

#6 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

Yes.

Sell it and buy a quieter mount. :grin:

Seriously, CG5-GTs are noisy. Reliable, reasonably acurate, affordable, thrifty on power, nice firmware features, but noisy.

The Atlas/Sirius mounts are probably the quietest GOTO mounts I've seen. The downside of those mounts are less mature firmware missing nice features, heavier, more expensive.

I have an Atlas, a CG5-GT and a CGE currently. The CG5 is noisy and no amount of tinkering/insulating with dynamat, etc., has changed that. Nature of the beast.

Regards,

Jim

#7 Hubert

Hubert

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

OK, guys.

Thanks for the advice. I'm happy I have a good and accurate mount. I try to live with the noise :smirk:

regards, Hubert

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

The noise sounds much louder to you than it really is. If you are worried about it being loud enough to annoy neighbors, then rest assured that it is not.

Try doing a long slew, then walk into your house and close the door.

Once you realise that it is not loud enough to actually disturb anyone, you don't mind it nearly as much.

#9 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:17 AM

Yes.
Sell it and buy a quieter mount. :grin:
Seriously, CG5-GTs are noisy. Reliable, reasonably acurate, affordable, thrifty on power, nice firmware features, but noisy.
The Atlas/Sirius mounts are probably the quietest GOTO mounts I've seen. The downside of those mounts are less mature firmware missing nice features, heavier, more expensive.
I have an Atlas, a CG5-GT and a CGE currently. The CG5 is noisy and no amount of tinkering/insulating with dynamat, etc., has changed that. Nature of the beast.
Regards,
Jim

Hubert, I couldn't have put it any better than quoted as above. I have stuck some strip adhesive Neoprene on the outer casing of my LXD75, it quietened it by about 10% or so, but the only real solution is a different mount. The HEQ upwards series is the way to go, but weight goes up as well and I agree the Skywatcher HC is somewhat lacking for what I want. Hence, my trusty but NOISY LXD75 stays put so far, Fox!

#10 Hubert

Hubert

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:24 AM

It's not the neighbors I'm concerned about. I'm used to observe very quiet because I used to observe with a dobson.

I did have about two years ago a EQ6 Pro but it was a disappointing mount. Not accurate in pointing. I sold it and bought again a dobson. But now I wanted to observe again sitting down and bought the CG-5 goto because they are in promotion. I have found out that it's far better in pointing then the EQ6 Pro. The menu of the controller is also easier and I can give more detailed coordinates in then with the EQ6.

A very good mount but noisy :crazy:

regards, Hubert

#11 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

Yes, when you are sitting next to it, it does seem quite noisy, but I think again that it is a psychological trick that because you are in the dark and alone, the sound seems far more magnificed than it really is.

There is very little you can do to quite these mounts. Someone somewhere said that the belt drive conversion will quite them, but I did and experiment. I removed the plastic covers and took off one of the spur gears, then slewed the mount. It did not seem to be much quieter with the spur gear removed. Next, I unscrewed the motor from the tab. Suddenly it was very quiet. I think that the sound from the motor gearbox vibrates the entire mounting tab causing kind of a sounding board effect.

Perhaps putting some dampening material on the area would reduce the sound.

Also, companies like Parts Express sell dampening mats for use in cars. These are sheets of tarpaper basically. Perhaps some could be moulded to the inside of the plastic housing to attenuate some of the sound.

So, maybe the belt conversion (Try the experiment first), maybe some dampening to the mount, or maybe some acustic suppression inside the housing.

If that fails, then yes, I think a quiter mount may be the only solution.

I promise that you adjust to it though. I used to think my CG5 was loud because compared to my CGE and my LXD 750 (not LXD 75, they are noisy), it seemed deafening. After using it for a while though, and assuring myself that it wasn't bothering anyone (except the little Yip-Yip dog in the house behind mine when he is is outside far later than he should be) and just started to relax, it got to where is just didn't seem nearly as loud anymore.

Good luck.

#12 Danno2006

Danno2006

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

Foxtrot - I am not sure if you know but you can select "Quiet Slew" in the Autostar menu for the LXD75 which moves the slew speed to 50% . The mount is very quiet when using "Quiet Slew" mode - more than the 50% reduction would indicate.

#13 HUsher

HUsher

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Wales, UK

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:42 AM

I emailed celestron about them adding a quiet slew option for future handset software versions (in another similar thread Chris suggested that if celestron thought there might be sales dependent on thsi they might take notice). So worth all of us with CG5s who would like the option emailing celestron too... let's see what people power can do??

Helen

#14 StarStruckCarter

StarStruckCarter

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Manchester, NH

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

Trapezium Telescopes has had some good results in lowering the sound levels on some mounts for local folks. They are still noisier than an Atlas but much quieter than befor maybe my 50%. I don't know if they still offer the service. Give them a call.

jhc

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

I recently bought a new CG-5 goto mount.
What a noise it makes when slewing to an object :shocked:

Is there a solution for this anoying problem?

regards, Hubert

Not really. If you can't stand the noise (which sounds louder than it really is), I'd urge you to return the mount and look at something else. Synta's HEQ5 is considerably quieter. So is the Losmandy GM8.

#16 Hubert

Hubert

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

If I should return the CG-5 and buy a HEQ5 goto will it be as good as the CG-5 goto?

Is Skywatcher better or alike Celestron?

regards, Hubert

#17 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

If I should return the CG-5 and buy a HEQ5 goto will it be as good as the CG-5 goto?

Is Skywatcher better or alike Celestron?

regards, Hubert

Motors = Quieter

HEQ5 = sturdier

Software = not quite as good

#18 Hubert

Hubert

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

In what way is the software not so good?

regards, Hubert

#19 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:37 AM

In what way is the software not so good?

regards, Hubert

The Celestron software, for one thing, has more features. The go-to alignment routine is also superior IMHO. The fairly primitive state of the SynScan software is why many owners switch to EQMOD.

#20 Hubert

Hubert

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

Rod, thanks for the answer. I'll keep the Celestron.

regards, Hubert

#21 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

I don't think you will regret it.

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics