• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:02 PM

The observation and sketches

Having awakened to a clear and sunny morning that was crisp, I ventured out to see the waning moon. It was still reasonably bright, so I hauled out a 4 inch refractor and did a quick sketch ( Moon by Day ).

The view was beautiful but slowly fading due to the rising sun. Contrast, while decreasing, still revealed the beautiful outline of Copernicus. I ran to the C8 to see what could be seen around the crater before the sun got too much higher. The crater was beautiful in the greys and blues of the sunlighted sky. But conditions were deteriorating because of the increase in light but also because the morning air was moist. As it rolled over the nearby ridge, it was forming small clouds the frequently interfered with the view. I ran to get more paper and started. Most of my time was waiting for good glimpses, but there were enough to sketch the crater ( Copernicus by Day ). By the time I stopped, clouds and light made it impossible to do any further observing. Truly, the ruler of the day had taken over; the ruler of the night had decreased.

It was a good morning to give thanks.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

Roland,

Beautiful sketch of the waning moon and Copernicus. :bow: :cool: I also was out sketching and observing early in the morning. The seeing conditions were very good for me. I did not sketch Copernicus but I did try and capture a hand held image of the crater to compare to one I took several years back when I had a better camera. The sky was already bright but the sun had not yet risen.
Your Copernicus sketch is so good I put it side by side with my photo and you can see that you captured it beautifully. I must say your sketch is more pleasing to the eye.

Frank :)

Attached Files

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

Very cool sketch of copernicus in daylight, Frank i hope your not heading into the bottomless money pit of astrophotography.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:24 AM

T5,

I know better than to follow that path.

Frank :)

#5 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:05 AM

Thank you Frank and Tommy. It was nice to see the side-by-side pics also; I usually don't check things so it gives me an idea where I got it right and where I missed. I have looked over some daytime sketches and have reconfirmed my previous conclusion: it is a good time to observe, especially for children and schools overseas, since night time observing usually presents problems.

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

Roland,

Excellent observations of the Waning Moon and Copernicus in the daytime sky. many people do not believe that detail such as you recorded is visible in the daytime sky. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Frank- An excellent image of Copernicus. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

Thanks, Carlos. We have been driven to daytime observations because of the overseas children that don't have any equipment at home. But, the more I do it, the more I realize it is a great way to observe the moon for at least 6 or 7 days each cycle.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics