Photo

Mounting a camera on an LXD75

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy2K63

Jimmy2K63

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

Sorry for this dumb question, but I believe what I want is called a dovetail bar for mounting a camera on an LXD75 mount. I want to remove the OTA and tube rings, and just mount a bar with a DSLR on the mount. Is my thinking correct?

Is anyone using anything like this and perhaps has a picture they can back this up with?

Thanks
James

#2 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:09 AM

I think this is what you are after,
dovetail fits into standard LXD or Skywatcher (CG-5) and you can add whatever plates and extra's on top with a bit of drilling/machining.

Orion Dovetail Mounting Plate 08"
$35.00
Dovetail Mounting Plate for V-Style Mounts.
Includes Skywatcher EQ5, HEQ5 and EQ6. Celestron CG-5, Meade LXD55 and LXD75

Dovetail mounting plates provide a platform for coupling telescope optical tubes to SkyView Pro and Atlas equatorial mounts. Tube rings (sold separately) bolt on to the dovetail plate, which then fits into the dovetail slot on the equatorial head.
Dovetail plates are made of extruded, anodized aluminum.

Attached Files

#3 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:36 AM

James

I am just putting together the same thing you are only on a CG-5 mount. I found this dovetail bar here and ordered it for myself. I suspect that will be more convenient if all you want to do is hook up a camera to the mount (what I plan) then a generic dovetail that you have to modify. Cheaper too.

However - take what I say with a grain of salt because I am very much a newbie and have yet had that dovetail in hand to tell if fits the bill like I expect.

I also found this one here, but I suspect the flat bar will be the better solid mount even if the L bracket is easier to use. Plus, and I could be wrong, I think the L bracket ends up with the camera 90deg from what a regular scope mounts at.

Hope that helps.

- Sean

Attached Files

#4 Jimmy2K63

Jimmy2K63

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:01 AM

Yes that's what I am after guys. Are these dovetails pretty much standard then? They sure are high for something so simple. I'm just wanting to drill a hole for a 1/4x20 mounting bolt and mount a camera straight to the plate. The Orion one looks exactly like what I am after if it will fit the LXD75.

Thanks again.

#5 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

Jimmy, the size of the one posted by Sean looks tailored made for what you want, and the cross-section profile is pretty much standard provided you specify that you want it for a CG-5 type mount, ie. yes, both will fit the LXD75. You could probably rig up something yourself if you can find a simple metal plate that will fit, drill a hole in it with countersinking to allow flush sitting in the mount. Fox

#6 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Skylab

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

I've a gadget that I got from a place in Japan via Ebay that is a quick release lockable camera tripod adapter who's bottom bit I attached to very short camera dovetail adapter I sourced from the UK via Ebay.

This is what the quick release adapter looks like :
http://cgi.ebay.com....id=p3286.c0.m14
Posted Image

This is the universial dovetail camera adapter :
http://cgi.ebay.com....id=p3286.c0.m14
Posted Image
Tbe dovetail clamp for the sidebyside bar looks like
http://cgi.ebay.ph/w...em=390068759195
Posted Image

The top half of the quick release adapter is permanently attached to the bottom of my 40D , I've also got another on on the tripod foot for my big Tamron 300mm f2.8 LD lens.

Esssentially the dovetail adapter with quick release base stays permanently on my CG5 or my homebrew sidebyside adapter plate.
When I simply either attach the big Tamron to the quick release base by sliding it in (takes a few seconds) and I slide the locker under the quick release lever - that secures it. I then attach the camera .

Or if I am using a smaller lens , I simply attach the camera with lens attached as above.

Saves a lot of stuffing about.

A home brew sidebyside plate is easy to rig up with basic power tools , and dirt cheap using offcuts of 10mm thick Al flat bar and vixen style dovetail clamp for the guide scope (which sits on a dovetail bar with some tube rings).
An short offcut if vixen dovetail bar holds the whole affair to the GEM's dovetail clamp.

Works pretty well ....

#7 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:41 PM

I had wondered about balance of the whole rig on those side-by-side mount plates.... my current mount I have the camera mounted on an L bracket, making it off the center of balance, and it messes up tracking just by being off that much.

Of course this *IS* a 30 year old beat up mount that is not of the same quality of the ones we are talking about here.... (thus my purchase of a CG-5 to arrive soon)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics