LCROSS impact sketches?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:30 PM

I was wondering whether some of you folks in the west are considering trying to sketch the LCROSS impact dust plume? I'll be busy imaging it, but thought that presuming I see anything, I'd put together some sketches from memory shortly after the event. The Impact date is October 9th, 2009 at 11:30 UT on the north western wall of Cabeus A. Anyone else? :question:

#2 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

• Loc: Pacifica, CA, USA

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:03 AM

I'm concerned that I won't have the weather to observe it or image it, but I will give it a shot. And now I have a "project" to try. :lol:

If it's clear (fog is a killer where I'm at), I'll give it a shot...my skills at imaging are wanting...

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:11 AM

Rich,

Even here in the midwest the sky should be dark enough at that time (sun will not be up yet) to give it a look and sketch if it is clear.

Frank :)

#4 Americal

Americal

Mariner 2

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:04 AM

Rich, I'm planning on it. It just keeps getting harder to make those early wakeups but I think this one's worth it. Now if the L.A. coastal clouds will cooperate...

#5 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

Wonderful! :D We may have a difficult time discerning anything based upon the fact that the chosen crater is seen very close to the Malapert A massif. The dust plume will probably have to reach an altitude of at least 25 to 30 km above the crater to be visible to us. But I'm in for the challenge, as I'm sure the rest of you are. ;)

You may want to pre-sketch the local environs before the event. Try to have that completed 15-20 minutes before the event, so you can keep your attention fixed on the impact event. Luckily the terminator moves very slowly through the area due to it's location so close to the south polar region, so you can do this rather leisurely if you start about a hour earlier.

#6 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

Rich and all

Thanks for the info and reminder. I am not sure where I'll be on a Friday morning at 4:30 AM PDT October 9th. I am now in the middle of job changes and possible travel as I do not currently have a permanent home although I could be building a new one by then. I plan to duplicate what I had under dark skies for over 20 years in the east Portland Columbia River Gorge.

I'm looking forward to this event now that I have strained my eyes to the moons details for the past year. But my home town of Portland Oregon is known for unforeseen predictions of clouds and rain in October.

Any advice, I would be honored to hear from any of you. Should I relocate to California? That is a tough move for a born and raised Portland Oregonian! :question: :tonofbricks: :bigshock: :bawling: :shrug:

Mark

www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

#7 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

Mark, I hope you get settled before this event. How about eastern Oregon?

#8 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

How about New Mexico! Very clear, dark skies except during the summer monsoon!

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

I wish everyone the best of luck in viewing this event. I think it is worth observing as no one knows what to expect.

Carlos

#10 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Thanks Carlos! Yes, you're quite right we really don't know what we may see (or not), so let's give it our best.

Attention Everyone: Kurt Fisher has put together a wonderful powerpoint slideshow that is a great guide to print and use as a reference manual for the event.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics