Something better than my SVP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

I can’t afford a Losmandy G11. But I want something better than my current Orion SVP. What would you suggest as a good stable, precision mount and tripod priced somewhere in the middle?

Thanks
Bart

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:41 PM

CGEM, Atlas, EQ-6

#3 letimotif

letimotif

No Complaints

• Loc: Actually, right here.

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

Celestron CGEM

Orion Atlas EQ-G/Skywatcher EQ6 Pro

Skywather HEQ5 Pro (less capacity than the first two)

Vixen GP-2 (less capacity than the previous three)

Since both the G11 and SVP are GEMs, I'm assuming you wish to stay with those.

In GEM world there really aren't any other choices at roughly the price mid-point you've specified.

T'were I you, I'd look at the CGEM before the others simply because I believe it's hand control software is more sophisiticated, and from personal experience I think it's quite easy to use.

You don't mention what types of equipment you want to mount, and that can make a difference. For example, the CGEM/Atlas mounts are quite heavy. If you do remote site observation, and you have a lightweight scope with no intentions of upgrading, I'd had for you to buy more capacity than you might need.

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

I think you'd find a CG5ASGT to be significantly superior to the SVP despite its somewhat similar appearance. The CG5's 2" diameter tripod and RA BBs make significant contributions to the stability and put it more in the class of the HEQ5. The handcontroller sofware is much better too. I looked at both before deciding on a CG5 when downsizing from a G11 that I owned for 10+ years and am quite satisfied with the CG5 and my ~ 16 lb OTAS. Whether you find it enough of an upgrade over your SVP depends on your OTAs and applications, but at under $600, it's an outstanding value.

#5 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

What do you think about the Orion Sirius?

#6 letimotif

letimotif

No Complaints

• Loc: Actually, right here.

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:29 AM

The Sirius is Orion's version of the HEQ5. I looked at this mount carefully while I had still had a long focal length refractor. It's a great mount, but it is my understanding that there is no mount extension that will fit on the HEQ5. Mount extensions are available that fit the SVP, CG4 & CG5 (same extension) and one that fits the Atlas EQ-G (and--maybe--the CGEM, not sure on that). Without a mount extension any longish tube is going to have your rear end on the ground at zenith, and will put you in some uncomfortable positions in other arrangements that a mount extension would somewhat ameliorate. If I'm wrong about the mount extension someone let me know, because I may go back to a GEM in the future and the Sirius is an attractive option.

Bottom line: It kinda sorta depends upon the scope(s) you want to use with your mount that determines what's ideal (he writes as he states the massively obvious).

#7 drexelpbp

drexelpbp

Ranger 4

• Loc: Phoenixville,PA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

The Orion mount extension for the SVP mount works with the Sirius mount. Its heavy but it works well. I replaced the steel tube with a thick side wall aluminum tube. Its still very stable and a whole lot lighter.

#8 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

I've had an LXD and Eq-6 and now a CG5....

I was very pleased with the Eq-6 but it Heavy to setup every night More suited for a pier of scope buggy setup..
Sirius is quite good but I heard the tripod is not as rigid as the CG-5 but again depends on your load

I've had the CG-5GT for about 2 months now and I like it. I don't load it up much no more than 15 lbs...Heaviest Load C6 guide camera and lens Imaging camera and counter weights.

CG5 has a bit noise while slewing.....Also has the dec cord
outside and wraps at times but rarely an issue..For the money I think it's the best bang for the Buck Used around 350-450

LXD...no comment

Hope this helps

Greg

#9 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

The Orion mount extension for the SVP mount works with the Sirius mount.

Makes sense. The HEQ5/Sirius tripod looks to be the same one that comes with the SVP. Those mounts probably deserve something a little more stout, really.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics