CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to balance nose heavy scope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yenal

Yenal

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:29 AM

Hi all. I use 14"Lx200R with FR+DSI+DSI Fan at the back. This setup is nose heavy so I want to balance it. Since I am new to balancing, I mistakenly purchased Meade counterweight, which didnt helped for my balancing as I dont have guidescope on the top of OTA. I need to balance the scope on-axis. Is there anybody with practical idea to do that at home? Google gives a perfect method (Peterson Engineering EZ Balance)for this but I live far away from USA to purchase it. Any idea will be appreciated.
Thank you.

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:25 AM

Try this page.

David

#3 Yenal

Yenal

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:54 AM

Thank you for the link David. But this is not what I need. I need to increase the weight of back of the telescope as it is nose heavy right now. I need to put a weight on an axis which passes directly at the center of the OTA.

#4 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

Actually, you can do the same thing by placing weights on top AND bottom.

If you don't want to use magnets because of electronics, some have used a velcro ring around the back of the scope and small bags filled with used tire weights that will cling to the velcro.

Necessity is the mother of invention. yes?

#5 Yenal

Yenal

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

Ring sounds good. Can you give me some links showing how it looks like?

Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics