Photo

Is a 12 SCT too much for a Mach1?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Festus

Festus

Mariner 2

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:32 PM

I have been debating what to do with my Meade 12" LX200gps. I am thinking about removing the OTA and trying it on my Mach1 for visual use and imaging planets. It has been a reliable scope over the years but has not been getting much use lately. My observatory doesn't have enough room for two mounts and I have to remove the Mach1 to use the 12". It would be nice just to pick an ota for the evening, add some counter weights and start viewing.

I have read Rod Mollise's chapter on choosing a CAT and he states the Mach1 can handle a 12" cat ( checking the weights I would add the meade is rated at 40lbs, losmandy bar 3-4lbs, webcam negligible). AP states 8-11" scts, company 7 has an article which doesn't really state not to use a 12" for weight but something to do with focal length being an issue - for the serious astrophotographer.

Has anyone tried it and if so what was your experience? Should I part with the old 12'er and get something smaller to be safe?

Thanks

#2 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

Physically, the Mach1 can carry the load. Aesthetically, I'm not so sure.

I use a C11 on my Mach1 and it is "okay" for visual. Settle times are 1 - 2 seconds and I have become used to some focuser shake if I'm not careful. The M10 weighs the same as the C11 after you add a dovetail, so I figure it would perform identically as well.

Your M12 is much bigger and heavier. I wish I could lift it to try, but I cannot handle anything that big more than once. :cool: I suspect you would see more of the same as far as wiggles and jiggles. The last experiment I tried was to mount my 10 inch Newt on the Mach1. It didn't work so well, plus I messed up my back, and spent a month in a brace. A-P offers conservative capacity ratings for their mounts - but they are pretty close to the mark for acceptable results.

Ron

#3 Festus

Festus

Mariner 2

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Ron that is the kind of advice I needed. I'll keep the 12" where it is, mounted on its forks, happy. Maybe trade it in and get one of those new GSO 10" scopes when they become available.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics