Sell which mount?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Turner

Richard Turner

Mariner 2

• Loc: NC

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

I was wondering if I could get some advice about which mount to sell. I have a CGEM, (right now the hand controller is off to Celestron for repair or replacement), and a Meade LXD-75 mount. Obviously, the CGEM mount is a better mount for imaging (which I enjoy), but would bring more money if I offered it for sale. Since I bought both mounts new, I would "take a hit" money-wise on either mount I sold. That's OK, it's the nature of buy-new, sell used.

I also am unemployed. I'm not in dire circumstances right now, but down the road six months I might be, if I can't find work.

So, based on these factors, which would you do? Would you sell the CGEM mount and get somewhat more money to help with the unemployment issue, or would you sell the LXD-75 mount, get less money, and keep the CGEM mount as the superior mount for imaging?

Thanks,

Richard :question:

#2 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

OUCH! That's a tough one! Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I guess that it all depends upon just how bad things get for you. The one thing is that the closer you get to needing the cash then the lower the price that you will be willing to accept for either one. If you are well set for now, then the LXD would probably be the better choice. However, the CGEM would realize a better return (lower loss) at this time since they are still a hot commodity.

This one is going to be a challenging personal choice.

Good luck with your choice and with finding work.

CS

Steve

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

Yes I think selling the CGEM would be best. Amass the most money possible now, and learn to live CHEAP.

If you nest-egg the money and don't NEED it to survive further down the road, you will probably be able to buy another used CGM for less than you will get when you sell your CGEM today.

Look around. Almost ALL of the equipment that is new today plunges in resale as the months go by. If you hold on to the CGEM today and are foreced to sell it later, my bet is that you will take a bigger loss.

Prices on used LXD75s has plunged in the last 6 months. Used to be about 6 or 8 months ago, they were selling used for $600. Today, I see them for $450.

Just learn to live with the LXD75 for now. Preserve as much wealth as you possibly can. Liquidate any high end gear you can (Ethos, Pentax, whatever).. I PROMISE you that you will be able to buy them all back for less when you get your next job.

And selling of all of these things and putting the money in a box that says "Astro-Gear Replacement Funds" will keep you from digging into the money for expenditures you don't really need to be making. Promise youself that if you SPEND that money, you won't be able to buy back that Nagler or CGEM. The goal now is to BUILD as MUCH capital as you can, and reduce your spending as much as possible.

I wish you good luck.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics