Photo

Looking for best place for LDX75/Autostar help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• Loc: S. Philadelphia, PA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

Would it be here, or in another forum? Is there a good book?

I'm having a heckuva time getting my GOTO to work (it's tracking fine) because my FOV is so narrow (sidewalk, in front of a row-home) that the easy align's choices for stars (save Vega) are not even visible. I've tried the two-star align, but after Vega, the next choices in my LP skies are relatively close (Deneb and Altair), so even though I got "alignment successful", it didn't get close to Jupiter.

On the plus side, the view of Jupiter through the 120ED is pretty amazing when the skies are still. :)

Thanks for any direction. I did look for a Yahoo group, but found nothing active. - j

#2 mrowlands

mrowlands

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: WI

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

It may not be very active now, but I've learned a lot at:

http://tech.groups.y...XD75telescopes/

Almost anything you want to know has probably already been discussed there, if you can find the right search terms. Or just muck around in there for awhile.

My LXD75 was sufficient out of the box, except for aligning the polar scope. But it has the infamous backlash, and there is a lot of info on how to adjust that.

Mike R.

#3 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• Loc: S. Philadelphia, PA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

It looks like spelling it right would have net me more links... :p - j

#4 yock1960

yock1960

Gemini

• Loc: (Mostly Cloudy) Ohio, USA

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

Search for 'Meade' and 'Autostar' in Yahoo groups, there are several there and some very knowledgeable and helpful folks there.

Some things you can do before and after you get it aligned are:

1) Calibrate & train your drives.

2) Align your polar alignment scope, which means that when you rotate the RA axis, whatever the scope is centered on does not move (or not much anyway depending on your patience level). Good polar alignment is a big plus.

3) Find a way to mark a spot so that you are setting up your mount in the exact same way every time. I setup on concrete and use a black wax pencil to mark where my tripod legs go.

4) Get a finder such as a Telrad. Something like Jupiter, as bright as it is, you hardly need accurate goto's anyway.

Good Luck!

Steve

#5 shams42

shams42

Apollo

• Loc: Kingsport, TN

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

There is a lot of discussion out there that the Autostar controller is not at all precise on GOTOs to the moon and planets. I have found this to be the case with mine. After adjusting my mount to remove the backlash and going through the drive training and calibration procedure, I have found the GOTOs on deep sky objects to be very accurate. However, when I GOTO Jupiter or the moon the pointing is off by 2-3 degrees most times. I suspect the Autostar controller is not capable of computing the position of solor system objects to the requisite accuracy.

Luckily it is quite easy to slew to bright objects yourself using the arrows on the hand controller. For the moon, you may have to go into the menu and adjust the tracking rate to lunar - otherwise the moon will drift out of view.

I also have the problem with trees and alignment stars not being visible. If you turn on high precision slewing, the scope will slew to a bright star near the target you selected. By centering the bright star in the eyepiece, the pointing accuracy for the final slew to the object is substantially improved. You can actually do this yourself. Slew to a star or DSO. When the object is visible, press and hold the enter key on the hand controller for about 3 seconds. You will be prompted to center the object and press enter. This provides additional alignment information and makes GOTOs in that area of the sky more accurate.

Good luck! I definitely recommend tuning out the backlash in the mount. One you do that it's pretty darned good.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics