Jupiter 9-15-09, 10pm EST

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• Loc: S. Philadelphia, PA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

This is my 2nd sketch (a "photo-visual observation" as Carlos points out, since I took color information from a photo) and the reason that I bought a 120ED on an LXD75. I live in the city, in a row-home, with streetlights all down the block, so even with my 12" dob, there isn't much worth looking at. I figured if I concentrated on the Moon and planets, I'd have something to do if I tried to make myself sketch. A couple of years ago, I did one of M42 while my dob was on a EQ platform, but the clarity of this little bugger gave me sharpness on Jupiter that I don't think my dob ever did.

This was originally done in pencil, brought in the computer, and softened and colored there to make it look like what I remembered. Thanks in advance for any critiques. I hope to keep myself more active in this forum and make my purchase worth it! - j

Attached Files

#2 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

Very nice! I guess I am old fashioned but you guys that are using the computer really amaze me! I do imaging, email and processing not art! Looking forward to many more!

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

Jay,

Beautiful sketch. It looks like you are very experienced with this kind of sketching. :bow: :rainbow: :cool:

Frank :)

#4 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:59 AM

I wanted to add it at a different scale, more like what I was seeing in the EP, along with the moons. The physical drawing was done in pencil on a traced circle around 3" across. Is there a convention as to how these are presented as far as orientation goes? Mine reflects the EP view, which I guess is flipped upside down and rotated... - j

Attached Files

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

Jay,

Thank you very much for posting two outstanding observations of Jupiter and it's satellites. You have captured the delicate atmosphere of Jupiter very nicely. These are an inspiration for us all.

What software did you use to modify your drawing? The original observations were excellent to begin with.

I am sorry to see that you are selling the Green Goblin as this appears to be avery nice instrument. I hope that it works out for you.

Carlos

#6 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

Carlos, I work in graphic design, so I use Photoshop for pretty much everything that requires pushing pixels. It was handy for softening the sketchiness of the pencil (though I could have used a smudge-stick I guess!), whether it was with the inefficient blur tool, guassian blur, or motion blur (and perhaps a little "remove noise" and "median"). I also used it to ad a little rounded darkening of the edge of the planet. Though this doesn't mimic the values of what is seen, it did decrease the detail at the edge of the drawing, which I think helps. At the end of the night, I tried taking a hand-held picture through the EP, which was futile with the quarter-second exposure. I picked the best of these shots (color-wise as there was no detail), adjusted the color balance to match what I remembered, blew it up in size and laid it over my refined sketch in the multiply mode. I reduced the transparency percentage and adjusted the levels of the underlying sketch until it looked right. What I think adds a nice, authentic touch is the bluish limb on the upper right, which is why triplets and reflectors are better suited to bright planetary imaging!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing more and being able to translate more subtle details than I did this time. There are some wonderfully detailed sketches of Jupiter in this forum! I think a key is to work big and soft and then REDUCE it down! :D - j

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

Jay,

That is a very interesting and productive technique that you used to recreate what you noted at the eyepiece. Your technique is what is referred to as a photovisual observation where the observer combines a visual observation and an image (e.g. CCD) into a completed product of what was observed. This is an acceptable method of making an observation if clearly stated as such in the description of the observation. I agree with you in that it is easier to work big and soft and then reduce the observation. Too many amateurs attempt to use a disk size that limits what may be recorded.

I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#8 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

Jay I'm certain along with myself, most sketchers here were thinking that you had mistakenly posted these beautiful ultra realistic digital sketches here instead of the Solar System Imaging Forum! :bow: :rainbow: :bow: Sheeze, they are superbly rendered, your photoshop processing really enhances the image; excellent simulation of the limb darkening with diminishment of detail. Jay welcome to the Sketching Forum, you've made a grand entry with these awesome Jupiter views. :waytogo:

As Carlos so well stated: "This is an acceptable method of making an observation if clearly stated as such in the description of the observation."

#9 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

Fantastic sketch, Jay! And I really enjoyed your description of the method you used to generate the final image. The reduced version with the moons really evokes the sense of viewing through the eyepiece during one of the moments when the seeings has calmed. I look forward to seeing what you observe & sketch next!

#10 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

great sketch , superb use of color.

#11 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

Jay,

Just an awesome capture of your observation! Love the details and the capture with the 2 moons. Your orientation is fine, most just label it or describe it as you did in your sketch. I look forward to your further sketches. Wish I lived near Phili, I love your Green Goblin!

Jay

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics