• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Don Allen

Don Allen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charleston, SC

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

I have a lxd 75 and am thinking about this product. Is it possible to remove the mount from the pedestal after each observing session or is it designed to keep the mount on it. I am trying to reduce the weight of each trip outside, as my back is looking for a break. :p

Thanks.

#2 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

You can remove the mount from the pedestal after your session. There is an available "quick release", basically a flexible cable that runs through a hole in the side of the pedestal with a knob at one end and a proper sized bolt at the other. Hard to explain without photos, but it works well with my Giro.

OTOH, you could replace the allen bolts that hold the top plate to the pier with some hand knobs and that would work too.

#3 Don Allen

Don Allen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Doug. BTW, how heavy is your model?

#4 Gord

Gord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

Don, do you mean the weight of the pier? Depends on the height as most of the weight is in the pier (steel) vs. the legs being aluminum. I have the shortest one and would say it is similar to the 2" stainless tripod for the AS-GT's.

They are very solid though and the quick release is a good option. I left my pier setup outside for a good 18 months straight with just a plastic bag over it to keep the water out of the head adapter. It really didn't seem to affect it very much, and I would just drop the head and OTA on it each evening and go.

Clear skies,

-Gord

#5 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

Thanks Doug. BTW, how heavy is your model?

Don, to be honest, I'm not sure of the exact weight of the pier with the legs attached. Mine is the 48" model, so you can kind of get an idea of what a 48" long 4" diameter steel pipe would weigh. Add the aluminum legs and my guess would be somewhere around 20# maybe? I'll admit up front, however, that I'm a lousy judge of such things!

#6 Don Allen

Don Allen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:39 AM

Gord, Doug Thanks...putting in an order shortly.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics